Re: [mythsoc] Jobs in this mailing list

  • Alisson Veldhuis
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
      There are also students here ... trying to get their degrees in Literature
      and Writing...

      Alisson

      �Roses are scentless, hopeless are the morns,
      Rest is but weakness, laughter crackling thorns,
      If thou, the Truth, do not make them the true:
      Thou art my life, O Christ, and nothing else will do.�
      -George MacDonald, Diary of an Old Soul, Feb. 4

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
        Welcome to the list! ---djb

        I am probably one of the new people here in the list

        I am from Turkey..Istanbul...I work in PricewaterhouseCoopers as a
        consultant.

        Age 31 two daugthers...

        Anil

        On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:09:05 EST, wendellwag@... <wendellwag@...>
        wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/1/2004 1:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > ChessQu654@... writes:
        >
        > > It seems many people on this list work in fields
        > > involving literature and writing.
        >
        > Actually, no, they don't. There are several librarians, a couple of
        > technical writers, and a couple of professors, but other than that not
        very many
        > people's jobs have anything to do with literature or writing. There are
        several
        > housewives and a couple of retirees. In general, the people on this list
        work
        > at white-collar jobs unconnected with literature or writing. (Hmm, do we
        have
        > any farmers or factory workers in this mailing list?)
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail2web.com/ .
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
          Yes, welcome! And in Byzantium, no less!

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

        • Joan Marie Verba
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
            I have worked as a sales associate in a department store, a typist/word
            processor, and a computer programmer. I currently work 2 jobs: one as an editor
            for a corporation, and one as a Weight Watchers leader. I also run a small
            press, and I am a published author.

            Joan Marie Verba
          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
              I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
              grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time student
              at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
              Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and a
              couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an enjoyer of
              others' works.

              Grace Monk

            • Christine Howlett
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                Grace, I am hugely impressed with anyone who can do all this with their
                time - that's an artform by itself!
                Christine

              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                  --

                  Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense, I
                  would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I

                  In the meantime, I just enjoy appreciating the creativity of others.

                • Carnimiriel Isilraen
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Ok, I've mostly lurked since joining this list, but just had to chime in
                    for this one, since I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on here
                    that wears multiple "hats" jobwise!

                    I am a classical singer and voice teacher who teaches at a midwestern
                    liberal arts college, a high school performing arts magnet program, and
                    just about anybody else who shows up and wants to learn. My singing
                    career includes everything from opera (mostly chorus and bit parts these
                    days) to church/synagogue work and tap dancing in a santa suit (ok so
                    that is not singing but I was hired as a singer and those of us who
                    claimed to know a dance step or two had to do that too). This weekend I
                    have three Christmas caroling gigs and one Chanukah concert!

                    I am also a writer, mostly for my own enjoyment, but with a few articles
                    published here and there in obscure publications, a ballet libretto
                    (discussed at last Mythcon), and a novel in progress.

                    Ellen Denham

                  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                      >I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one
                      in
                      >grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                      >student at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile
                      >Court Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth
                      >group, and a couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist --
                      >I'm just an enjoyer of others' works.

                      And a most perceptive one. ---djb

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                        In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:26:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                        Walkermonk@... writes:

                        I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
                        grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                        student
                        at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
                        Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and
                        couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an
                        enjoyer of
                        others' works.

                        And, may I add, someone who at almost 40 looks more like 30. My thought at
                        hearing that Grace had an 18-year-old son was "I didn't think many women had
                        children at 12 anymore."

                      • ChessQu654@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                          In a message dated 12/2/04 2:36:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                          Walkermonk@... writes:

                          > Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense,
                          > would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I
                          > want to be. :-) Instead, I am slowly, slowly finishing my degree, as an
                          > older,
                          > adult, non-traditional student. And the court volunteering is a commitment
                          > of
                          > only a couple of hours a week, and some weeks less than that. And I really
                          > do
                          > have wonderful children and a talented husband -- I couldn't do all this
                          > without him

                          Grace,

                          Don't sell yourself short. You deserve a lot of credit for your
                          perseverrance. So many people just give up and never return to school, especially not while
                          raising a family. I'm not sure I would have the stamina for it.

                          Happy holidays,
                          Christine

                          " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                          ~ Author Unknown ~

                        • ChessQu654@aol.com

                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                              Ellen,

                              I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.

                              It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                              What's impressive!

                              The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                              to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!

                              Happy holidays,
                              Christine

                              " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                              ~ Author Unknown ~

                            • Mike Foster
                              Message 14 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                Christine,
                                The line "The difficult I'll do right now / The impossible will take a
                                little while" is a lyric from a Billie Holiday torch song, "Crazy He
                                Calls Me", written by Carl Sigman and Bob Russell

                                Cheers,
                                Mike

                                ChessQu654@... wrote:

                                >Ellen,
                                >
                                >I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.
                                >
                                >It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                                >What's impressive!
                                >
                                >The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                                >to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!
                                >
                                >Happy holidays,
                                >Christine
                                >
                                >" The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                > ~ Author Unknown ~

                                >Yahoo! Groups Links

                              • Stolzi
                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                  "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

                                  often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
                                  served during WWII.

                                  Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

                                  A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                  quote:

                                  ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
                                  exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
                                  first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
                                  button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

                                  As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
                                  buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
                                  http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
                                  Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
                                  DC.

                                  Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
                                  even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

                                  Diamond Proudbrook
                                • Mike Foster
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                    With all respect to your father and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, I
                                    prefer Billie Holiday's version.

                                    Mike

                                  • jamcconney@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                      And I much prefer the Corps of Engineers version. Ain't diversity fun?
                                      Anne

                                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 26, 2004
                                        From Stolzi's note:

                                        >Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."
                                        >
                                        >A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                        Or perhaps it could also be taken to mean, "Let us try." A sort of ever
                                        onward sort of thing. I like "Excelsior" myself, which I had read in some
                                        fairy tale meant "Ever onward," and it was some family motto. Is that
                                        accurate?

                                        I just remembered to use the mythsoc link to amazon for two orders these
                                        past two days. Thanks for the reminder! And I told my dad about it as
                                        well.

                                        best,

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
                                          Thanks for the input, everyone.

                                          Thus far, I agree with the ladies. The Army quote seems best. For now, I
                                          shall leave my signature line as is.

                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                            There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a particular
                                            difficult problem. It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                            miraculous takes a little longer"

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                              In a message dated 12/31/2004 10:58:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                              WendellWag@... writes:

                                              There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a
                                              particular
                                              difficult problem.

                                              Excuse me, I meant "a particularly difficult problem." I wasn't saying that
                                              we keep solving the same problem over and over again. I meant that it was
                                              given to any team that solved a very difficult problem.

                                            • Mike Foster
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                                I still stay with the
                                                "Crazy He Calls Me" vote for Billie Holiday,
                                                though if
                                                Army Corps of Engineers guys
                                                or
                                                Wendell's crew
                                                start wearing white gardenias,
                                                and work on their scansion and melisma...

                                                Mike Foster

                                              • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
                                                  In a message dated 12/31/04 7:58:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                  WendellWag@... writes:

                                                  > . It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                                  > miraculous takes a little longer"

                                                  I think I like this best! Is there a credit to this?

                                                  Best regards,