RE: [mythsoc] Re: cultural mutual incomprehension

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
      from Original post:

      Also, here's a good link with an explanation of the declaration of
      independence story:

      http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

      -kt

      My question:

      Actually, the first thing that came up on that link this morning (Thursday)
      was a paragraph of really foul language that meant nothing. Sort of your
      basic American dialogue that one can overhead anywhere (train, movies,
      shopping, whatever). Anyone have a better link?

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
      www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
        From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

        > http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

        > Actually, the first thing that came up on that link this morning
        (Thursday)
        > was a paragraph of really foul language that meant nothing. Sort of your
        > basic American dialogue that one can overhead anywhere (train, movies,
        > shopping, whatever). Anyone have a better link?

        Lizzie, you need to scroll down. There's a longish posting below which
        attempts to explain the "declaration of independence story." That was
        probably at the top when kt posted the link.

        Diamond Proudbrook
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
          Frankly, I didn't feel the urge to scroll down, given the first couple of
          posts I saw. I'll hear about this little anecdote some other time I
          suppose.

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
            Lizzie, I explained the "banning the Declaration of Independence" lie in my
            passages of the Declaration in religious proselytizing handouts that he was
            illegally giving to his students. He was ordered to stop.

            Since Steve thinks we coasters are all porn-lovers, let me put it this way.
            Let's say there was a porn movie in which an actor, at the moment of
            ecstacy, blurted out the phrase "life, liberty, and the pursuit of
            happiness!" And let's say Steve was a school principal who ordered that
            movie not to be shown in classrooms.

            He would be just as guilty of "banning the Declaration of Independence" as
            the school principal in the real-life case.

            This is a non-story that certain right wing-nuts are trying to make out of
            nothing. I live in the school district where this took place, and I don't
            even recall reading anything about it in the papers. But it's not being
            supressed, because I found enough when I looked for it.

            David Bratman
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
              lol Thank you, David. I did see your summary, and this follow-up was very
              helpful. I wonder why I didn't get an irate email forwarding of the story
              from my dad (who is probably one of those right wing-nuts).

              Most porn is such garbage, it's almost as bad as regular TV.

              I would like to see California some day. I hear you have great produce,
              year-round outdoor sports weather, and of course, those redwood trees up in
              the north. The rest of us are just envious (or "jealous" as they say).

              best,

              Lizzie