Re: cultural mutual incomprehension

  • Katie
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004

      > Second, nobody banned the Declaration of Independence anywhere.
      This claim
      > also is barely recognizable as a crude distortion of the story of a
      teacher
      > - at a public school - who was ordered to stop distributing to his
      students
      > handouts of his own devising which were attempts to propagandize for his
      > religious views.

      Heh. I was just coming here to write this. It was bad enough when it
      was just a school in California "banning" the Declaration of
      Independence, now it is the entire state that has banned the
      Declaration of Independence (and has apparently been renamed--because
      we hate freedom and love porn! Yay porn!)

      Really, this is the kind of attitude that leads to this disconnect. My
      upstairs neighbour has a sign in his window that says "Middle America
      Sucks." I hate looking at it. With signs like that and nicknames like
      Kalipornea, etc. the disconnect only grows wider. It's not an "east
      coast" or "west coast" or "midwest" disconnect. It is a nationwide
      disconnect that allows us to be believe that geography can somehow
      dictate people's personalities, intelligence and morality. It's dumb
      and it's hurtful. I'll respect people for who they are, not where they
      live and I kindly ask that others do the same for me.

      Also, here's a good link with an explanation of the declaration of
      independence story:

      http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

      -kt
    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
        I guess this is not the time to stand up and sing Tom Lehrer's song "Smut"
        . . . ?

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia
        www.lizziewriter.com
        www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
          from Original post:

          Also, here's a good link with an explanation of the declaration of
          independence story:

          http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

          -kt

          My question:

          Actually, the first thing that came up on that link this morning (Thursday)
          was a paragraph of really foul language that meant nothing. Sort of your
          basic American dialogue that one can overhead anywhere (train, movies,
          shopping, whatever). Anyone have a better link?

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com
          www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org
        • Stolzi
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
            From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>

            > http://www.weberrific.org/2004/11/declaration-of-independence-banned.html

            > Actually, the first thing that came up on that link this morning
            (Thursday)
            > was a paragraph of really foul language that meant nothing. Sort of your
            > basic American dialogue that one can overhead anywhere (train, movies,
            > shopping, whatever). Anyone have a better link?

            Lizzie, you need to scroll down. There's a longish posting below which
            attempts to explain the "declaration of independence story." That was
            probably at the top when kt posted the link.

            Diamond Proudbrook
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
              Frankly, I didn't feel the urge to scroll down, given the first couple of
              posts I saw. I'll hear about this little anecdote some other time I
              suppose.

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                Lizzie, I explained the "banning the Declaration of Independence" lie in my
                passages of the Declaration in religious proselytizing handouts that he was
                illegally giving to his students. He was ordered to stop.

                Since Steve thinks we coasters are all porn-lovers, let me put it this way.
                Let's say there was a porn movie in which an actor, at the moment of
                ecstacy, blurted out the phrase "life, liberty, and the pursuit of
                happiness!" And let's say Steve was a school principal who ordered that
                movie not to be shown in classrooms.

                He would be just as guilty of "banning the Declaration of Independence" as
                the school principal in the real-life case.

                This is a non-story that certain right wing-nuts are trying to make out of
                nothing. I live in the school district where this took place, and I don't
                even recall reading anything about it in the papers. But it's not being
                supressed, because I found enough when I looked for it.

                David Bratman
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 2, 2004
                  lol Thank you, David. I did see your summary, and this follow-up was very
                  helpful. I wonder why I didn't get an irate email forwarding of the story
                  from my dad (who is probably one of those right wing-nuts).

                  Most porn is such garbage, it's almost as bad as regular TV.

                  I would like to see California some day. I hear you have great produce,
                  year-round outdoor sports weather, and of course, those redwood trees up in
                  the north. The rest of us are just envious (or "jealous" as they say).

                  best,