Re: [mythsoc] Charles Williams

    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
      At 04:21 PM 12/1/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

      >Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

      This is quite interesting, and entertaining. Howard is the Tom Shippey of
      Williams studies.

      On the difficulty of Williams's style, I cherish a review he wrote of
      Lewis's "Problem of Pain", which begins:

      "I shall not attempt to summarize here an already compact book. Mr.
      Lewis's prose is known, and those who know it would not thank me for
      translating it into mine."

      David Bratman
    • John Davis
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
        Hi,

        (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

        Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

        John

      • Berni Phillips
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
          You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
          most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
          novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
          particularly _The Paper Grail_.

          Berni

          > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
          > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
          > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
          > rather sad...
          >
          > John
        • John Davis
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
            Hi Berni,

            Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

            Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

            John

            > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
            > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
            > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
            > rather sad...
            >
            > John

          • Jason Fisher
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
              John,

              Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

              Jason

              ________________________________
              Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

              John

              > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
              > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
              > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
              > rather sad...
              >
              > John

              Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

            • John D Rateliff
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
                Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
                Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
                [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
                If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
                have suggested Sax Rohmer.
                I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
                --John R.

                On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
                > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
                > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
                > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
                > rather than church.
              • John Davis
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                  Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                  John