Re: [mythsoc] Jobs in this mailing list

  • ChessQu654@aol.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Dec 1, 2004
      In a message dated 12/1/04 9:11:00 PM Pacific Standard Time,
      WendellWag@... writes:

      > (Hmm, do we have
      > any farmers or factory workers in this mailing list?)

      Wendell,

      I work as a veterinary technician. It's not quite farming, but we do keep
      sheep behind our practice.

      Christine

      " The impossible just takes a little longer."
      ~ Author Unknown ~

    • ANIL ERKAN
      Message 2 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
        I am probably one of the new people here in the list

        I am from Turkey..Istanbul...I work in PricewaterhouseCoopers as a consultant.

        Age 31 two daugthers...

        Anil

        On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:09:05 EST, wendellwag@... <wendellwag@...> wrote:

        > In a message dated 12/1/2004 1:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        > ChessQu654@... writes:
        >
        > > It seems many people on this list work in fields
        > > involving literature and writing.
        >
        > Actually, no, they don't. There are several librarians, a couple of
        > technical writers, and a couple of professors, but other than that not very many
        > people's jobs have anything to do with literature or writing. There are several
        > housewives and a couple of retirees. In general, the people on this list work
        > at white-collar jobs unconnected with literature or writing. (Hmm, do we have
        > any farmers or factory workers in this mailing list?)
        >
        > Wendell Wagner

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Alisson Veldhuis
        Message 3 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
          There are also students here ... trying to get their degrees in Literature
          and Writing...

          Alisson

          �Roses are scentless, hopeless are the morns,
          Rest is but weakness, laughter crackling thorns,
          If thou, the Truth, do not make them the true:
          Thou art my life, O Christ, and nothing else will do.�
          -George MacDonald, Diary of an Old Soul, Feb. 4

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
            Welcome to the list! ---djb

            wrote:

            > In a message dated 12/1/2004 1:54:34 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            > ChessQu654@... writes:
            >
            > > It seems many people on this list work in fields
            > > involving literature and writing.
            >
            > Actually, no, they don't. There are several librarians, a couple of
            > technical writers, and a couple of professors, but other than that not
            very many
            > people's jobs have anything to do with literature or writing. There are
            several
            > housewives and a couple of retirees. In general, the people on this list
            work
            > at white-collar jobs unconnected with literature or writing. (Hmm, do we
            have
            > any farmers or factory workers in this mailing list?)
            >
            > Wendell Wagner

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
              Yes, welcome! And in Byzantium, no less!

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              www.lizziewriter.com
              www.danburymineralogicalsociety.org

            • Joan Marie Verba
              Message 6 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                I have worked as a sales associate in a department store, a typist/word
                processor, and a computer programmer. I currently work 2 jobs: one as an editor
                for a corporation, and one as a Weight Watchers leader. I also run a small
                press, and I am a published author.

                Joan Marie Verba
              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                  I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
                  grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time student
                  at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
                  Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and a
                  couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an enjoyer of
                  others' works.

                  Grace Monk

                • Christine Howlett
                  Message 8 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                    Grace, I am hugely impressed with anyone who can do all this with their
                    time - that's an artform by itself!
                    Christine

                  • Walkermonk@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                      --

                      Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense, I
                      would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I

                      In the meantime, I just enjoy appreciating the creativity of others.

                    • Carnimiriel Isilraen
                      Message 10 of 26 , Dec 2, 2004
                        Ok, I've mostly lurked since joining this list, but just had to chime in
                        for this one, since I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person on here
                        that wears multiple "hats" jobwise!

                        I am a classical singer and voice teacher who teaches at a midwestern
                        liberal arts college, a high school performing arts magnet program, and
                        just about anybody else who shows up and wants to learn. My singing
                        career includes everything from opera (mostly chorus and bit parts these
                        days) to church/synagogue work and tap dancing in a santa suit (ok so
                        that is not singing but I was hired as a singer and those of us who
                        claimed to know a dance step or two had to do that too). This weekend I
                        have three Christmas caroling gigs and one Chanukah concert!

                        I am also a writer, mostly for my own enjoyment, but with a few articles
                        published here and there in obscure publications, a ballet libretto
                        (discussed at last Mythcon), and a novel in progress.

                        Ellen Denham

                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 26 , Dec 3, 2004
                          >I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one
                          in
                          >grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                          >student at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile
                          >Court Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth
                          >group, and a couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist --
                          >I'm just an enjoyer of others' works.

                          And a most perceptive one. ---djb

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          http://mail2web.com/ .
                          Message 12 of 26 , Dec 5, 2004
                            In a message dated 12/2/2004 3:26:25 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                            Walkermonk@... writes:

                            I'm the mother of four fab kids (one in college, two in high school, one in
                            grade school), a part-time secretary, a part-time waitress, a part-time
                            student
                            at Belmont University, a volunteer with Metro Nashville Juvenile Court
                            Appointed Special Advocates, the lay advisor to my parish's youth group, and
                            couple of other things. I don't write, I'm not an artist -- I'm just an
                            enjoyer of
                            others' works.

                            And, may I add, someone who at almost 40 looks more like 30. My thought at
                            hearing that Grace had an 18-year-old son was "I didn't think many women had
                            children at 12 anymore."

                          • ChessQu654@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                              In a message dated 12/2/04 2:36:37 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                              Walkermonk@... writes:

                              > Thank you, but it's sheer stupidity is what it is. If I had had good sense,
                              > would have finished college the first time around and now be the teacher I
                              > want to be. :-) Instead, I am slowly, slowly finishing my degree, as an
                              > older,
                              > adult, non-traditional student. And the court volunteering is a commitment
                              > of
                              > only a couple of hours a week, and some weeks less than that. And I really
                              > do
                              > have wonderful children and a talented husband -- I couldn't do all this
                              > without him

                              Grace,

                              Don't sell yourself short. You deserve a lot of credit for your
                              perseverrance. So many people just give up and never return to school, especially not while
                              raising a family. I'm not sure I would have the stamina for it.

                              Happy holidays,

                                Message 15 of 26 , Dec 20, 2004
                                  Ellen,

                                  I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.

                                  It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                                  What's impressive!

                                  The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                                  to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!

                                  Happy holidays,
                                  Christine

                                  " The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                  ~ Author Unknown ~

                                • Mike Foster
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                    Christine,
                                    The line "The difficult I'll do right now / The impossible will take a
                                    little while" is a lyric from a Billie Holiday torch song, "Crazy He
                                    Calls Me", written by Carl Sigman and Bob Russell

                                    Cheers,
                                    Mike

                                    ChessQu654@... wrote:

                                    >Ellen,
                                    >
                                    >I am amazed at the repertoire of jobs in this list.
                                    >
                                    >It sounds like you juggles a lot of hats, and tapsancing while you do it!
                                    >What's impressive!
                                    >
                                    >The holidays are certainly keeping you on your toes. I hope you get a chance
                                    >to kik off your dancing shoes and relax a bit!
                                    >
                                    >Happy holidays,
                                    >Christine
                                    >
                                    >" The impossible just takes a little longer."
                                    > ~ Author Unknown ~

                                    >Yahoo! Groups Links

                                  • Stolzi
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                      "The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer"

                                      often quoted as motto of the US Army Corps of Engineers, in which my father
                                      served during WWII.

                                      Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."

                                      A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                      quote:

                                      ' The Corps of Engineers` oldest and most time honored insignia is the
                                      exclusive Essayons Button. It has not changed in basic design since its
                                      first definitely known use during the War of 1812. It is still the required
                                      button for the uniform worn by Army Engineers Officers. '

                                      As far as I know this is the =only= Army branch to have its own special
                                      buttons, with the motto and a stylized castle (a picture of which is at
                                      http://www.angelfire.com/oh4/hhc612th/castle.html). A small but life-size
                                      Engineers' castle stands, or used to stand, near the Reservoir in Washington
                                      DC.

                                      Sorry, but Christmas is a family time, and I just had to give a shout-out,
                                      even if a bit off topic, to my dear father.

                                      Diamond Proudbrook
                                    • Mike Foster
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                        With all respect to your father and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, I
                                        prefer Billie Holiday's version.

                                        Mike

                                      • jamcconney@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Dec 21, 2004
                                          And I much prefer the Corps of Engineers version. Ain't diversity fun?
                                          Anne

                                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Dec 26, 2004
                                            From Stolzi's note:

                                            >Shorter motto, part of the Engineer insignia: "Essayons."
                                            >
                                            >A little more of a downer, as that just means "We'll try!"

                                            Or perhaps it could also be taken to mean, "Let us try." A sort of ever
                                            onward sort of thing. I like "Excelsior" myself, which I had read in some
                                            fairy tale meant "Ever onward," and it was some family motto. Is that
                                            accurate?

                                            I just remembered to use the mythsoc link to amazon for two orders these
                                            past two days. Thanks for the reminder! And I told my dad about it as
                                            well.

                                            best,

                                            Message 21 of 26 , Dec 30, 2004
                                              Thanks for the input, everyone.

                                              Thus far, I agree with the ladies. The Army quote seems best. For now, I
                                              shall leave my signature line as is.

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                                There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a particular
                                                difficult problem. It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                                miraculous takes a little longer"

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                                  In a message dated 12/31/2004 10:58:07 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
                                                  WendellWag@... writes:

                                                  There's a plaque given out to any team in my agency that solves a
                                                  particular
                                                  difficult problem.

                                                  Excuse me, I meant "a particularly difficult problem." I wasn't saying that
                                                  we keep solving the same problem over and over again. I meant that it was
                                                  given to any team that solved a very difficult problem.

                                                • Mike Foster
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Dec 31, 2004
                                                    I still stay with the
                                                    "Crazy He Calls Me" vote for Billie Holiday,
                                                    though if
                                                    Army Corps of Engineers guys
                                                    or
                                                    Wendell's crew
                                                    start wearing white gardenias,
                                                    and work on their scansion and melisma...

                                                    Mike Foster

                                                  • ChessQu654@aol.com
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jan 2, 2005
                                                      In a message dated 12/31/04 7:58:07 PM Pacific Standard Time,
                                                      WendellWag@... writes:

                                                      > . It says, "The impossible we do immediately. The
                                                      > miraculous takes a little longer"

                                                      I think I like this best! Is there a credit to this?

                                                      Best regards,