Charles Williams

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
      Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

      http://tinyurl.com/5jske

      or go to

      http://www.touchstonemag.com/archives/article.php?id=17-10-033-f

      There's a wonderful line in here

      ' Williams unfailingly leads us all on what George Eliot called "a severe
      mental scamper." '

      I'm including a copy to Wingfold because part-way down Howard reaches the
      question of GMD, Hell, and Heaven.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 25 , Dec 1, 2004
        At 04:21 PM 12/1/2004 -0600, Stolzi wrote:

        >Thomas Howard has an online article on the "no. 3 Inkling":

        This is quite interesting, and entertaining. Howard is the Tom Shippey of
        Williams studies.

        On the difficulty of Williams's style, I cherish a review he wrote of
        Lewis's "Problem of Pain", which begins:

        "I shall not attempt to summarize here an already compact book. Mr.
        Lewis's prose is known, and those who know it would not thank me for
        translating it into mine."

        David Bratman
      • John Davis
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
          Hi,

          (Not sure if this is off-topic of not - if so, many apologies...)

          Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books rather sad...

          John

        • Berni Phillips
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 16, 2009
            You might enjoy the books of Tim Powers. His _Declare_ is the novel which
            most shows his Christianity. (He's a Catholic Christian.) All of his
            novels are good. Also James Blaylock's novels might be your cup of tea,
            particularly _The Paper Grail_.

            Berni

            > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
            > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
            > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
            > rather sad...
            >
            > John
          • John Davis
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
              Hi Berni,

              Thanks for that - I'll give them a try.

              Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

              John

              > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
              > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
              > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
              > rather sad...
              >
              > John

            • Jason Fisher
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                John,

                Try Gustav Meyrink's The Golem (1915). It's just one novel and so wouldn't tide you over much, I guess; but to me, it very much has a Charles Williams feel. It's kind of a spiritual horror set in the Jewish ghetto of Prague. Borges was a big fan of the novel, but it's been largely forgotten since.

                Jason

                ________________________________
                Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams' books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality rather than church.

                John

                > Does anyone know of any other authors who write in a similar vein to
                > Charles Williams? Aside from Lewis' 'Hideous Strength', I don't know of
                > any, which makes coming to the end of the last two of Williams' books
                > rather sad...
                >
                > John

                Get the free SPAMfighter here: http://www.spamfigh ter.com/len

              • John D Rateliff
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 17, 2009
                  In that case, I'd suggest you go behind Williams and give Algernon
                  Blackwood's JOHN SILENCE a try. And also Wm Yeats' "Rosa
                  Alchemica" (most easily found, with two related tales, in MYTHOLOGIES
                  [1959]). Some Arthur Machen stories also hover close to that territory.
                  If it had been the supernatural suspense that hooked you, I'd
                  have suggested Sax Rohmer.
                  I don't think there's anybody who's quite like Williams, though.
                  --John R.

                  On Feb 17, 2009, at 1:22 AM, John Davis wrote:
                  > Although it is probably the non-Christian elements of Williams'
                  > books that most appeal to me, which is to say that they often seem
                  > more spiritual than Christian - the emphasis being on morality
                  > rather than church.
                • John Davis
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 18, 2009
                    Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'll give them all a try.

                    John