Re: [mythsoc] A Tale of Two Professors

  • Debra Murphy
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
      I think the Shakespeare-is-toO-profound-to-be-staged school of lit crit went out of favor there for a while, thank God, though it has been replaced in some circles by far worse (Deconstruction, New Historicism); but it does have at least one famous contemporary exponent, and that is Harold Bloom, who has claimed he has never seen a LEAR that did anything but grieve him, or words to that defect, as Dogberry might say.

      Now I have a whole website devoted to Shax-on-film, so I guess that puts me squarely in the opposing camp, much as I otherwise appreciate the eccentric Dr. Bloom, who shows himself in this, as in so much else, to be something of a cranky Gnostic. Give me Shakespeare in performance any day, including even the "impossible to stage" LEAR. (James Earl Jones, Olivier...) Indeed, I fell in love with the Bard all over again as an adult after seeing Jacobi's HAMLET and Branagh's HENRY V.

      I daresay it's ultimately a matter of taste, but it strikes me that those who cannot bear Shakespeare-in-performance are probably the sorts of people who either don't care much for theatre anyway, or who live primarily inside their heads, as it were; who have so specific a construct in their minds for what the play's about that they cannot stand to see it done otherwise.

      Debra Murphy

      http://www.bardolatry.com
      http://www.debramurphy.com
      http://www.themysteryofthings.com

      From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>

      Signup at www.doteasy.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 1, 2004
        At 11:26 AM 12/1/2004 -0500, Lizzie wrote:

        >I recently came across a funny site about poetry that took the opposite
        >stance, that it should not be read aloud because that was "artificial" or
        >some such argument.

        It seemed to me that the argument of the article you linked to was that
        _listening_ to a poet's reading of his own poetry should not be taken as
        the definitive interpretation. That might not always be true, but it's a
        different point. I was in any case talking of reading poetry aloud, not
        listening to someone else read it aloud. If, as the article suggests, some
        can read silently as if they were reading aloud, they might get out of
        poetry what the rest of us are missing. But few have that talent.

        At 09:04 AM 12/1/2004 -0800, Debra Murphy wrote:

        >I daresay it's ultimately a matter of taste, but it strikes me that those
        >who cannot bear Shakespeare-in-performance are probably the sorts of people
        >who either don't care much for theatre anyway, or who live primarily inside
        >their heads, as it were; who have so specific a construct in their minds for
        >what the play's about that they cannot stand to see it done otherwise.

        I'm not sure if that's the problem - I believe in Shakespeare dramatized,
        but I'm one of the people allergic to the whole idea of dramatizing LOTR
        and specifically disappointed with the Jackson version. The difference, of
        course, is that Tolkien dramatized is no longer Tolkien, but Shakespeare
        dramatized is the essence of Shakespeare. Perhaps the anti-performers in
        Shakespeare studies are the people who haven't figured that out - who,
        again, in Tolkien's words haven't realized that drama is a separate art
        from pure literature.

        A similar problem comes up in music. Some persist in thinking of the score
        as the "real" music, but it is nothing of the kind. Ontologically, a score
        is not music at all: it's instructions for performing music. The music
        does not exist until it is performed. Something similar could be said of a
        playscript.

        David Bratman
      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 2004
          Lizzie,
          Your site is funny as in queer not as in ha-ha. I'm with David, and I
          so advise my students: read it aloud or hear it done so by recordings of
          the poet. Dylan Thomas and T.S. Eliot are examples of two whose work is
          better heard than read. I did not appreciate what a magnificent and
          under-rated poet Conrad Aiken was until I heard Cademon recordings he made.

          Cheers,
          Mike