Re: [mythsoc] Re: I was Lucky !

  • jamcconney@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
      I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
      to performances of the plays.

      Yes, there's nothing like seeing a good performance. I'm an English major
      and of course I'd read Hamlet many times--but the reall eye-opener for me was
      seeing Branaugh's full 4-hour version on television.

      I thought I OUGHT to see it, didn't think I could spare four hours (and I'm
      not really a big fan of Branaugh either) so I thought I would dip in for a few
      minutes "just to see how they're going to handle the setting."

      Well, needless to say, for four hours I sat there absolutely mesmerized.
      Never second guess the Bard! The story moved faster than any cut-down version
      I've ever seen and the plot was crystal clear. Even the Player-King's speech (so
      dull on the page) functioned just as it did in Shgakespeare's day--as an
      oration designed to give an aging player (Charlton Heston in this case) a chance
      to chew a little scenery.

      Of course part of the fun was spotting the celebrity cameos too....

      Anne

    • dianejoy@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
        I've also had great teachers: one in history (college) and one in English
        (high school)who took us to see the film of *Romeo and Juliet* (Leonard
        Whiting and Olivia Hussey), and some very good ones. For the most part,
        most teachers have been fine, but you either recall the really rotten ones,
        or the very good ones.

        Shakespeare must be *seen* to be appreciated fully. ---djb