The Two Stories was Re: [mythsoc] Subject: Ursula LeGuin's comments on the upcoming Earthsea series

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
      Astrid Anderson was in a college lit class, and the professor was
      blathering about the deep meaning of a Science Fiction short story (I
      believe by Robert Silverberg). Astrid came in the next day telling the
      teacher he was wrong, that Bob had dashed off the story because he
      needed rent money and had not given much deep thought at all into
      writing it. The teacher stared down at here and asked her what made her
      the authority and she answered "Well, he was over for dinner last night
      and I asked him." The teacher finally realized Astrid was related to
      Poul. (Astrid told me the story years ago, so full details are now
      fuzzy, but the story is true.)

      And the Rocky Raccoon Story. Steve Wozniak (founder of Apple), decided
      to go back to school and get the BS he didn't complete because work at
      Apple had gotten too hectic. He did this under the name of RR since he
      would be taking computer classes and he didn't want to intimidate the
      teachers. He had to take an Economics course and the Teacher blathered
      on about how the Guys who Founded Apple had done great market studies
      and much planning before they came out with the first Apple. Woz really
      ducked hard during the lecture. After he finished the course, he then
      went to the teacher, advised the teacher who he really was, and informed
      him that they hadn't planned ANYTHING. They just built the computer they
      wanted to buy. They were still winging it, building what they want to
      buy, but they made it look more professional.

      *sigh*

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
        At 07:22 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

        >My Shakespeare teacher in high school said "Question Authority" and
        >meant it. We discussed and questioned and argued and joked about every
        >aspect of the Shakespeare plays we read.

        Yes, that sounds delightful. I had a high-school history teacher who was
        that good, and a good English comp teacher, but not in literature.

        I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
        to performances of the plays.
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
          At 07:38 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

          >Astrid Anderson was in a college lit class,

          I can confirm hearing this story also. I recall, however, that she was in
          grade school at the time.

          On the other hand, Isaac Asimov recounted telling a professor that nothing
          of what the prof. had said about an Asimov story was in the author's mind
          at the time he wrote it. And the prof replied, "Just because you wrote the
          story, what makes you think you know anything about it?"

          To which the answer should be, that he knows what the author intended, and
          that ain't peanuts.

          There is more to any good story than what the author consciously put in,
          but that doesn't mean that anything that one finds in a story is
          necessarily "there" in any meaningful sense. One's thought about a fat
          novel could be, "This'll make a great doorstop," and it may even be true,
          but surely that doesn't say anything meaningful about the contents except
          "it's long" which you knew already.
        • jamcconney@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
            I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
            to performances of the plays.

            Yes, there's nothing like seeing a good performance. I'm an English major
            and of course I'd read Hamlet many times--but the reall eye-opener for me was
            seeing Branaugh's full 4-hour version on television.

            I thought I OUGHT to see it, didn't think I could spare four hours (and I'm
            not really a big fan of Branaugh either) so I thought I would dip in for a few
            minutes "just to see how they're going to handle the setting."

            Well, needless to say, for four hours I sat there absolutely mesmerized.
            Never second guess the Bard! The story moved faster than any cut-down version
            I've ever seen and the plot was crystal clear. Even the Player-King's speech (so
            dull on the page) functioned just as it did in Shgakespeare's day--as an
            oration designed to give an aging player (Charlton Heston in this case) a chance
            to chew a little scenery.

            Of course part of the fun was spotting the celebrity cameos too....

            Anne

          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
              I've also had great teachers: one in history (college) and one in English
              (high school)who took us to see the film of *Romeo and Juliet* (Leonard
              Whiting and Olivia Hussey), and some very good ones. For the most part,
              most teachers have been fine, but you either recall the really rotten ones,
              or the very good ones.

              Shakespeare must be *seen* to be appreciated fully. ---djb

              At 07:22 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

              >My Shakespeare teacher in high school said "Question Authority" and
              >meant it. We discussed and questioned and argued and joked about every
              >aspect of the Shakespeare plays we read.

              Yes, that sounds delightful. I had a high-school history teacher who was
              that good, and a good English comp teacher, but not in literature.

              I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
              to performances of the plays.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .