I was Lucky ! Re: [mythsoc] Subject: Ursula LeGuin's comments on the upcoming Earthsea series

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
      My Shakespeare teacher in high school said "Question Authority" and
      meant it. We discussed and questioned and argued and joked about every
      aspect of the Shakespeare plays we read.

      He told us to bring in our own copies of the plays, so that we could
      make notes all over the plays themselves rather than on separate sheets
      of paper. When I brought in the All-in-one Collection from my mother's
      college days, with her notes already inside, he proclaimed "If you find
      anything interesting or contradictory, let me know." Occassionally, he'd
      look over to me and specifically ask "What did your mother's teacher say
      about that?"

      If we took a different interpretation on a bit of play, and he liked it
      he would give us a penny, technically for helping him with his job, but
      it was really for thinking outside the box. I once earned a whole nickel
      for a particularly good bit!

      He called Richard the Second, "Snooky Two", because his brother Richard
      was nicknamed Snooky. It went sideways from there.

      And the puns flew with great regularity. This was a man who loved his
      subject and wasn't afraid to test or expand his knowledge, even from
      high school kids.

      I still love Shakespeare as a result.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
        Astrid Anderson was in a college lit class, and the professor was
        blathering about the deep meaning of a Science Fiction short story (I
        believe by Robert Silverberg). Astrid came in the next day telling the
        teacher he was wrong, that Bob had dashed off the story because he
        needed rent money and had not given much deep thought at all into
        writing it. The teacher stared down at here and asked her what made her
        the authority and she answered "Well, he was over for dinner last night
        and I asked him." The teacher finally realized Astrid was related to
        Poul. (Astrid told me the story years ago, so full details are now
        fuzzy, but the story is true.)

        And the Rocky Raccoon Story. Steve Wozniak (founder of Apple), decided
        to go back to school and get the BS he didn't complete because work at
        Apple had gotten too hectic. He did this under the name of RR since he
        would be taking computer classes and he didn't want to intimidate the
        teachers. He had to take an Economics course and the Teacher blathered
        on about how the Guys who Founded Apple had done great market studies
        and much planning before they came out with the first Apple. Woz really
        ducked hard during the lecture. After he finished the course, he then
        went to the teacher, advised the teacher who he really was, and informed
        him that they hadn't planned ANYTHING. They just built the computer they
        wanted to buy. They were still winging it, building what they want to
        buy, but they made it look more professional.

        *sigh*

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
          At 07:22 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

          >My Shakespeare teacher in high school said "Question Authority" and
          >meant it. We discussed and questioned and argued and joked about every
          >aspect of the Shakespeare plays we read.

          Yes, that sounds delightful. I had a high-school history teacher who was
          that good, and a good English comp teacher, but not in literature.

          I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
          to performances of the plays.
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
            At 07:38 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

            >Astrid Anderson was in a college lit class,

            I can confirm hearing this story also. I recall, however, that she was in
            grade school at the time.

            On the other hand, Isaac Asimov recounted telling a professor that nothing
            of what the prof. had said about an Asimov story was in the author's mind
            at the time he wrote it. And the prof replied, "Just because you wrote the
            story, what makes you think you know anything about it?"

            To which the answer should be, that he knows what the author intended, and
            that ain't peanuts.

            There is more to any good story than what the author consciously put in,
            but that doesn't mean that anything that one finds in a story is
            necessarily "there" in any meaningful sense. One's thought about a fat
            novel could be, "This'll make a great doorstop," and it may even be true,
            but surely that doesn't say anything meaningful about the contents except
            "it's long" which you knew already.
          • jamcconney@aol.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 30, 2004
              I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
              to performances of the plays.

              Yes, there's nothing like seeing a good performance. I'm an English major
              and of course I'd read Hamlet many times--but the reall eye-opener for me was
              seeing Branaugh's full 4-hour version on television.

              I thought I OUGHT to see it, didn't think I could spare four hours (and I'm
              not really a big fan of Branaugh either) so I thought I would dip in for a few
              minutes "just to see how they're going to handle the setting."

              Well, needless to say, for four hours I sat there absolutely mesmerized.
              Never second guess the Bard! The story moved faster than any cut-down version
              I've ever seen and the plot was crystal clear. Even the Player-King's speech (so
              dull on the page) functioned just as it did in Shgakespeare's day--as an
              oration designed to give an aging player (Charlton Heston in this case) a chance
              to chew a little scenery.

              Of course part of the fun was spotting the celebrity cameos too....

              Anne

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Dec 1, 2004
                I've also had great teachers: one in history (college) and one in English
                (high school)who took us to see the film of *Romeo and Juliet* (Leonard
                Whiting and Olivia Hussey), and some very good ones. For the most part,
                most teachers have been fine, but you either recall the really rotten ones,
                or the very good ones.

                Shakespeare must be *seen* to be appreciated fully. ---djb

                At 07:22 PM 11/29/2004 -0800, Lisa Deutsch Harrigan wrote:

                >My Shakespeare teacher in high school said "Question Authority" and
                >meant it. We discussed and questioned and argued and joked about every
                >aspect of the Shakespeare plays we read.

                Yes, that sounds delightful. I had a high-school history teacher who was
                that good, and a good English comp teacher, but not in literature.

                I learned to love Shakespeare by reading a lot of English history and going
                to performances of the plays.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .