Re: [mythsoc] Re: Re-reading

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 29, 2004
      From: "Pauline J. Alama" <PJAlama@...>

      > I think I re-read favorite books as a way of incorporating them into
      > myself.

      Yes; I was so sad over this holiday weekend to learn that one of my two sons
      really has rather dim memories of what happened in the Narnia books he read
      as a child. I can still make mistakes on some particular speech or episode,
      but in general, I =know= the Chronicles and am glad that I know them.

      Tolkien, the same.

      Diamond Proudbrook
    • Mike Foster
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2004
        I recently re-read That Hideous Strength, in a new pb edition, to
        refresh myself with it in order to teach it in college after at least
        seven years unread wholly.

        Short verdict: I admire it more & liked it less.

        The dualities of plot and character and setting are exquisitely
        drawn--Grace Ironwood vs. Fairy Hardcastle, for one. Lewis has some
        wonderful symbolic vignettes, like the shattering of the window at
        Bragdon. The Objective Room is Orwellian before Orwell.

        But this Ransom [d]evolution into a Mini-Williams gave me the willies
        even more this time through, probably my fourth complete review--a
        perfectly good character spoiled by apotheosis of sorts. If there is
        such a thing as pompous humility, here 'tis. The bit with encouraging
        Bultitude's conjugality with that nice lady bear he'd picked up at
        Belbury forced a disbelieving embarrassed out-loud laugh.

        So there it is. When we go back to the readings of truly great
        books--and I can think of four for starters--we are dazzled by something
        new never noticed before--a gem in the grass, as it were.

        Other times, we notice a toad that hadn't really bothered us before.
        Wait a minute...two toads.

        Cheers,
        Mike