Re: [mythsoc] Disconnections? (was Readings and re-readings)

  • Berni Phillips
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      From: "dianejoy@..." <dianejoy@...>

      >I wonder if the middles of countries tend to be more conservative than the
      >coasts, since coastal folk have more foreigners and trade, hence they get
      >exposed to different kinds of "culture?" So who's more "connected?"

      I repeat, connected to what? This is too vague (as well as being off-topic).

      Berni
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
        In a message dated 11/29/4 2:07:07 PM, Diane Joy wrote:

        <<I wonder if the middles of countries tend to be more conservative than the

        coasts, since coastal folk have more foreigners and trade, hence they get

        exposed to different kinds of "culture?" So who's more "connected?" (It's a

        model I've used for designing my own fantasy lands.)

        Actually, the model that most anthropologists and cultural historians refer
        to nowadays has it as "innovative centre vs. conservative periphery". The
        centres are where social and economic power is concentrated, they attract talent
        and creativity, and they tend to process new cultural information at a more
        rapid rate. The farther any area is from such a centre, the longer it will take
        for such developments to reach it, and in some cases they may never reach it at
        all. At times the discrepancy cany be so great that the culture of the centre
        and the culture of the periphery may be perceived as different cultures, even
        though the latter is really an early version of the former. A lot of what gets
        called "Celtic music", for instance, falls into this category: it's really
        the kind of music that was current everywhere in Europe before the Industrial
        Revolution, but survived only in remote peripheral regions, many of them with
        Celtic populations.
        Of course, "centres" defined this way don't have to be in the real
        geographical centre of a culture area. In the US, more trade opportunities related to
        coastal or border regions led to greater urbanisation of those regions, and
        so tended to concentrate social and economic power there, making them the
        "centre" even though they were geographically on the periphery.
        I don't see that there's a marked tendency for geographical centres to be
        more conservative. If anything, the opposite holds. Look at the survival of
        Indo-European tradition: we see the richest and most ancient survivals at the
        two opposite extremes of the Indo-European world: among the Celts and in India.
        Alexei