[mythsoc] Disconnections? (was Readings and re-readings)

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
      Maybe there is a Middle States "disconnect." There's always Chicago. :)

      I wonder if the middles of countries tend to be more conservative than the
      coasts, since coastal folk have more foreigners and trade, hence they get
      exposed to different kinds of "culture?" So who's more "connected?" (It's a
      model I've used for designing my own fantasy lands.)

      Tolkien had his Shire hobbits think the hobbits of Bree were "weird," while
      the Breelanders thought the same of the Shire hobbits. ---djb

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 29, 2004
        From: "dianejoy@..." <dianejoy@...>

        >I wonder if the middles of countries tend to be more conservative than the
        >coasts, since coastal folk have more foreigners and trade, hence they get
        >exposed to different kinds of "culture?" So who's more "connected?"

        I repeat, connected to what? This is too vague (as well as being off-topic).

        Berni
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2004
          In a message dated 11/29/4 2:07:07 PM, Diane Joy wrote:

          <<I wonder if the middles of countries tend to be more conservative than the

          coasts, since coastal folk have more foreigners and trade, hence they get

          exposed to different kinds of "culture?" So who's more "connected?" (It's a

          model I've used for designing my own fantasy lands.)

          Actually, the model that most anthropologists and cultural historians refer
          to nowadays has it as "innovative centre vs. conservative periphery". The
          centres are where social and economic power is concentrated, they attract talent
          and creativity, and they tend to process new cultural information at a more
          rapid rate. The farther any area is from such a centre, the longer it will take
          for such developments to reach it, and in some cases they may never reach it at
          all. At times the discrepancy cany be so great that the culture of the centre
          and the culture of the periphery may be perceived as different cultures, even
          though the latter is really an early version of the former. A lot of what gets
          called "Celtic music", for instance, falls into this category: it's really
          the kind of music that was current everywhere in Europe before the Industrial
          Revolution, but survived only in remote peripheral regions, many of them with
          Celtic populations.
          Of course, "centres" defined this way don't have to be in the real
          geographical centre of a culture area. In the US, more trade opportunities related to
          coastal or border regions led to greater urbanisation of those regions, and
          so tended to concentrate social and economic power there, making them the
          "centre" even though they were geographically on the periphery.
          I don't see that there's a marked tendency for geographical centres to be
          more conservative. If anything, the opposite holds. Look at the survival of
          Indo-European tradition: we see the richest and most ancient survivals at the
          two opposite extremes of the Indo-European world: among the Celts and in India.
          Alexei