Re: interpretations of lit

  • Joe R. Christopher
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2004
      Dear David and all--

      When my students used to question any interpretations of a work of
      literature by asking if the author intended the meaning I was suggesting, I
      cited (with details) Dorothy L. Sayers in _The Mind of the Maker_ who
      pointed out that _Murder Must Advertise_ had a more symbolic structure than
      she had been consciously aware of when writing it. It was nice to have
      some author say that a work meant more than consciously intended.

      --Joe