Re: [mythsoc] Lewis Question

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
      The allusion is probably to Graham Greene's novel _Brighton Rock_. There
      were contests held by British newspapers in the 1930's where they would have
      someone walk around a town on a given day. His name, his picture, the day, and
      the town would be given in the paper. When a newspaper reader spotted him, they
      would go up to him and say, "You're [whatever the name was] and I claim my
      five pounds." They would thus win the contest. This is a plot point in
      _Brighton Rock_. So the phrase now means, "Hah, I answered that question, didn't I?"