Re: [mythsoc] Lewis Question

  • Stolzi
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
      > > So I believe the knight's name is Antigonus, from A Winter's Tale (and
      > > ICMFP :).

      Translate acronym please?

      I found out it stands for "I Claim My Five Pounds," but don't know the
      reference.

      Diamond Proudbrook
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
        The allusion is probably to Graham Greene's novel _Brighton Rock_. There
        were contests held by British newspapers in the 1930's where they would have
        someone walk around a town on a given day. His name, his picture, the day, and
        the town would be given in the paper. When a newspaper reader spotted him, they
        would go up to him and say, "You're [whatever the name was] and I claim my
        five pounds." They would thus win the contest. This is a plot point in
        _Brighton Rock_. So the phrase now means, "Hah, I answered that question, didn't I?"