Re: [mythsoc] Lewis Question

  • Liz Katz
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2004

      > So I believe the knight's name is Antigonus, from A Winter's Tale (and
      > ICMFP :).

      I like it... I am relieved. Thanks.
    • Stolzi
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
        > > So I believe the knight's name is Antigonus, from A Winter's Tale (and
        > > ICMFP :).

        Translate acronym please?

        I found out it stands for "I Claim My Five Pounds," but don't know the
        reference.

        Diamond Proudbrook
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2004
          The allusion is probably to Graham Greene's novel _Brighton Rock_. There
          were contests held by British newspapers in the 1930's where they would have
          someone walk around a town on a given day. His name, his picture, the day, and
          the town would be given in the paper. When a newspaper reader spotted him, they
          would go up to him and say, "You're [whatever the name was] and I claim my
          five pounds." They would thus win the contest. This is a plot point in
          _Brighton Rock_. So the phrase now means, "Hah, I answered that question, didn't I?"