Starting a Tolkien Society Smial in Atlanta

  • Jef Murray
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
      Greetings!

      I was directed here by Ellie.

      I'm trying to start a smial in Atlanta. For
      those who don't know what this is, it's a group
      of Tolkien afficionadoes, affiliated with the
      British Tolkien Society, who meet on a regular basis
      to discuss all things related to JRRT's writings.

      Tentatively named "Eregion", this one will (hopefully!)
      be oriented toward fellow artists and writers as well as
      folk interested in the philosophy and theology of
      Tolkien's work. I'd like for us to meet monthly at
      a location to be determined (I'm in Decatur).

      If you know any folk in the Atlanta area for whom
      such a group would be of interest, please feel free
      to direct them to me. My website is at
      http://www.JefMurray.com, and all contact info
      for me can be found there.

      Sîdh,

      Jef

      P.S. Anyone from Nashville planning on attending
      "Tolkien 2005"?
    • Alana Marie Vincent Howard
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 24, 2004
        Hello!

        I'm in the Atlanta area, and doing my master's thesis on Tolkien
        (specifically the theology thereof). I'd be interested in joining the
        smial-- and I'm planning on attending Tolkien 2005. I'm working on a
        paper proposal as we speak, actually.

        Alana

        On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:03:41 -0000, Jef Murray <jef_murray@...> wrote:

        > Greetings!
        >
        > I was directed here by Ellie.
        >
        > I'm trying to start a smial in Atlanta. For
        > those who don't know what this is, it's a group
        > of Tolkien afficionadoes, affiliated with the
        > British Tolkien Society, who meet on a regular basis
        > to discuss all things related to JRRT's writings.
        >
        > Tentatively named "Eregion", this one will (hopefully!)
        > be oriented toward fellow artists and writers as well as
        > folk interested in the philosophy and theology of
        > Tolkien's work. I'd like for us to meet monthly at
        > a location to be determined (I'm in Decatur).
        >
        > If you know any folk in the Atlanta area for whom
        > such a group would be of interest, please feel free
        > to direct them to me. My website is at
        > http://www.JefMurray.com, and all contact info
        > for me can be found there.
        >
        > Sîdh,
        >
        > Jef
        >

        > P.S. Anyone from Nashville planning on attending
        > "Tolkien 2005"?

        > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jef Murray
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
          Alana,

          Many thanks for the note. You're _exactly_ the sort of
          person I'm trying to contact! Will be happy to add you
          to the contact list for the group. Have been debating
          with a couple of folks about the orientation of the group,
          and I'm convinced that focussing on Tolkien's philosophy/
          theology is the right way to proceed. To that end, am
          considering changing the tentative name of the group
          to "Andúnië", which, as I expect you know, was the
          haven which was the home of the Faithful during the
          waning days of Numenor.

          Please feel free to forward this note or other
          info about the group to others that you know who
          would be interested in joining us. I'll be happy
          to add them to the organizing email list....

          Sîdh,

          Jef

          --- In mythsoc@yahoogroups.com, Alana Marie Vincent Howard
          <amvhoward@g...> wrote:
          > Hello!
          >
          > I'm in the Atlanta area, and doing my master's thesis on Tolkien
          > (specifically the theology thereof). I'd be interested in joining
          the
          > smial-- and I'm planning on attending Tolkien 2005. I'm working on
          > paper proposal as we speak, actually.
          >
          > Alana
          >
          > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:03:41 -0000, Jef Murray <jef_murray@y...>
          wrote:

          > > Greetings!
          > >
          > > I was directed here by Ellie.
          > >
          > > I'm trying to start a smial in Atlanta. For
          > > those who don't know what this is, it's a group
          > > of Tolkien afficionadoes, affiliated with the
          > > British Tolkien Society, who meet on a regular basis
          > > to discuss all things related to JRRT's writings.
          > >
          > > Tentatively named "Eregion", this one will (hopefully!)
          > > be oriented toward fellow artists and writers as well as
          > > folk interested in the philosophy and theology of
          > > Tolkien's work. I'd like for us to meet monthly at
          > > a location to be determined (I'm in Decatur).
          > >
          > > If you know any folk in the Atlanta area for whom
          > > such a group would be of interest, please feel free
          > > to direct them to me. My website is at
          > > http://www.JefMurray.com, and all contact info
          > > for me can be found there.
          > >
          > > Sîdh,
          > >
          > > Jef
          > >

          > > P.S. Anyone from Nashville planning on attending
          > > "Tolkien 2005"?

          > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          Service.
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 29, 2004
            With a name like that, there are times when I wish I lived in Atlanta.
            What a great choice. ---djb

            <amvhoward@g...> wrote:
            > Hello!
            >
            > I'm in the Atlanta area, and doing my master's thesis on Tolkien
            > (specifically the theology thereof). I'd be interested in joining
            the
            > smial-- and I'm planning on attending Tolkien 2005. I'm working on
            > paper proposal as we speak, actually.
            >
            > Alana
            >
            > On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 15:03:41 -0000, Jef Murray <jef_murray@y...>
            wrote:

            > > Greetings!
            > >
            > > I was directed here by Ellie.
            > >
            > > I'm trying to start a smial in Atlanta. For
            > > those who don't know what this is, it's a group
            > > of Tolkien afficionadoes, affiliated with the
            > > British Tolkien Society, who meet on a regular basis
            > > to discuss all things related to JRRT's writings.
            > >
            > > Tentatively named "Eregion", this one will (hopefully!)
            > > be oriented toward fellow artists and writers as well as
            > > folk interested in the philosophy and theology of
            > > Tolkien's work. I'd like for us to meet monthly at
            > > a location to be determined (I'm in Decatur).
            > >
            > > If you know any folk in the Atlanta area for whom
            > > such a group would be of interest, please feel free
            > > to direct them to me. My website is at
            > > http://www.JefMurray.com, and all contact info
            > > for me can be found there.
            > >
            > > Sîdh,
            > >
            > > Jef
            > >

            > > P.S. Anyone from Nashville planning on attending
            > > "Tolkien 2005"?

            > > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Links