Re: RE: [mythsoc] Re-reading

  • dianejoy@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 24, 2004
      I agree; this is an especially great example. When I re-read *Game of
      Thrones,* I was amazed at how much of it I recalled, especially since the
      guy has such a large cast and a giant canvas, with a lot of complexity.
      Let's hope Mr. Martin can actually put the thing out by the end of 2004.
      I'm champing at the bit! ---djb

      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2004
        I recently re-read That Hideous Strength, in a new pb edition, to
        refresh myself with it in order to teach it in college after at least
        seven years unread wholly.

        Short verdict: I admire it more & liked it less.

        The dualities of plot and character and setting are exquisitely
        drawn--Grace Ironwood vs. Fairy Hardcastle, for one. Lewis has some
        wonderful symbolic vignettes, like the shattering of the window at
        Bragdon. The Objective Room is Orwellian before Orwell.

        But this Ransom [d]evolution into a Mini-Williams gave me the willies
        even more this time through, probably my fourth complete review--a
        perfectly good character spoiled by apotheosis of sorts. If there is
        such a thing as pompous humility, here 'tis. The bit with encouraging
        Bultitude's conjugality with that nice lady bear he'd picked up at
        Belbury forced a disbelieving embarrassed out-loud laugh.

        So there it is. When we go back to the readings of truly great
        books--and I can think of four for starters--we are dazzled by something
        new never noticed before--a gem in the grass, as it were.

        Other times, we notice a toad that hadn't really bothered us before.
        Wait a minute...two toads.

        Cheers,
        Mike