RE: [mythsoc] Re-reading

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 33 , Nov 23, 2004
      From: Berni Phillips [mailto:bernip@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 5:04 PM
      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [mythsoc] Re-reading

      From: Debra Murphy <debra@...>

      >Then a funny thing happened along the way: my constant re-reading of
      certain books, from Tolkien to >Georgette Heyer to Ayn Rand, began to
      teach me quite a bit about writing and the art of story-telling, and
      what I >liked and didn't like. Out of that grew a desire to start doing
      it myself.

      This is an interesting point. How does a preference for re-reading tie
      in with a desire to write one's own fiction? Or does it? I'm not much
      of a re-reader and I also have never wanted to write my own stories. Is
      there a correlation?

      Berni

      It correlates with me. I re-read more than I read these days. I like
      to make up more stories about the characters I know, especially if the
      end of the book is at a suspenseful place.

      To Debra Murphy -- don't you ever wonder what happened when Sophy and
      Charles drove back to London and met up with Sir Horace?

      But writing is hard work! Mainly I just think about the stories. But I
      have written some Middle-earth fan fiction.

      Beth

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Mike Foster
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2004
        I recently re-read That Hideous Strength, in a new pb edition, to
        refresh myself with it in order to teach it in college after at least
        seven years unread wholly.

        Short verdict: I admire it more & liked it less.

        The dualities of plot and character and setting are exquisitely
        drawn--Grace Ironwood vs. Fairy Hardcastle, for one. Lewis has some
        wonderful symbolic vignettes, like the shattering of the window at
        Bragdon. The Objective Room is Orwellian before Orwell.

        But this Ransom [d]evolution into a Mini-Williams gave me the willies
        even more this time through, probably my fourth complete review--a
        perfectly good character spoiled by apotheosis of sorts. If there is
        such a thing as pompous humility, here 'tis. The bit with encouraging
        Bultitude's conjugality with that nice lady bear he'd picked up at
        Belbury forced a disbelieving embarrassed out-loud laugh.

        So there it is. When we go back to the readings of truly great
        books--and I can think of four for starters--we are dazzled by something
        new never noticed before--a gem in the grass, as it were.

        Other times, we notice a toad that hadn't really bothered us before.
        Wait a minute...two toads.

        Cheers,
        Mike