Re: [mythsoc] Graphic novels

  • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
      I agree on Elfquest. The Compilations are big enough to constitute a
      gift and they are fairly easy to get into, yet the stories are rich and
      complex. My duaghter has read all of the series.

      Also the Astrix the Gaul series. They are just comics with a silly
      historical base, but the puns make them more than that. Originally in
      French, they are available in English with intelegent substitutions in
      the puns.

      And don't forget Prince Valiant. They have compiled the stories into books.

      We also have Garfield, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, For Better or Worse,
      and Baby Blues books scattered throughout the house <g>. Not to mention
      a Graphics Novel adaptation of the Hobbit. And yes, we have been to
      Comic-Con.

      Mythically yours,
      Lisa

      JP Massar wrote:

      >>I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
      >>more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
      >>novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
      >>a big comic book?
      >>
      >>Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
      >>comics, but I dug these.
      >>

      >ElfQuest.

    • Carl F. Hostetter
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
        On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Walkermonk@... wrote:

        > Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really
        > like
        > comics, but I dug these.
        >
        > Grace Monk

        And she thought so even BEFORE she got the Big Pink Bottle O' Death. ;)

        Carl
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
          Elfquest, yes---vol. 1-4 (completes a story arc, and the best part of the
          series). J. Michael Straczynski's *Rising Stars* series.

          *Sandman* is great; look it over and use your judgement. I'd be a bit
          cautious if he's under two digits (9 and below). He may get all the mythic
          references [or not], but it'll get him to ask questions.

          >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
          >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
          >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
          >a big comic book?
          >
          >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
          >comics, but I dug these.

          ElfQuest.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://mail2web.com/ .
        • Walkermonk@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
            --

            Yes, I should have mentioned that also. Sandman is for teens, not younger
            children. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

            Grace Monk

          • Mike Foster
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
              Important point: age of the nephew ought to guide advice.

              Mike Foster