Re: [mythsoc] Graphic novels

  • JP Massar
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22 2:48 PM

      >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
      >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
      >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
      >a big comic book?
      >
      >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
      >comics, but I dug these.

      ElfQuest.
    • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22 4:44 PM
        I agree on Elfquest. The Compilations are big enough to constitute a
        gift and they are fairly easy to get into, yet the stories are rich and
        complex. My duaghter has read all of the series.

        Also the Astrix the Gaul series. They are just comics with a silly
        historical base, but the puns make them more than that. Originally in
        French, they are available in English with intelegent substitutions in
        the puns.

        And don't forget Prince Valiant. They have compiled the stories into books.

        We also have Garfield, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, For Better or Worse,
        and Baby Blues books scattered throughout the house <g>. Not to mention
        a Graphics Novel adaptation of the Hobbit. And yes, we have been to
        Comic-Con.

        Mythically yours,
        Lisa

        JP Massar wrote:

        >>I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
        >>more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
        >>novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
        >>a big comic book?
        >>
        >>Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
        >>comics, but I dug these.
        >>

        >ElfQuest.

      • Carl F. Hostetter
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22 5:23 PM
          On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Walkermonk@... wrote:

          > Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really
          > like
          > comics, but I dug these.
          >
          > Grace Monk

          And she thought so even BEFORE she got the Big Pink Bottle O' Death. ;)

          Carl
        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 23 7:26 AM
            Elfquest, yes---vol. 1-4 (completes a story arc, and the best part of the
            series). J. Michael Straczynski's *Rising Stars* series.

            *Sandman* is great; look it over and use your judgement. I'd be a bit
            cautious if he's under two digits (9 and below). He may get all the mythic
            references [or not], but it'll get him to ask questions.

            >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
            >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
            >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
            >a big comic book?
            >
            >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
            >comics, but I dug these.

            ElfQuest.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Walkermonk@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23 11:57 AM
              --

              Yes, I should have mentioned that also. Sandman is for teens, not younger
              children. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

              Grace Monk

            • Mike Foster
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23 2:29 PM
                Important point: age of the nephew ought to guide advice.

                Mike Foster