Re: [mythsoc] Graphic novels

  • Walkermonk@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
      In a message dated 11/22/2004 4:16:07 PM Central Standard Time,
      jalaubacker@... writes:
      I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
      more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
      novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
      a big comic book?

      Jim
      ---

      Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
      comics, but I dug these.

      Grace Monk

    • JP Massar
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004

        >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
        >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
        >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
        >a big comic book?
        >
        >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
        >comics, but I dug these.

        ElfQuest.
      • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
          I agree on Elfquest. The Compilations are big enough to constitute a
          gift and they are fairly easy to get into, yet the stories are rich and
          complex. My duaghter has read all of the series.

          Also the Astrix the Gaul series. They are just comics with a silly
          historical base, but the puns make them more than that. Originally in
          French, they are available in English with intelegent substitutions in
          the puns.

          And don't forget Prince Valiant. They have compiled the stories into books.

          We also have Garfield, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, For Better or Worse,
          and Baby Blues books scattered throughout the house <g>. Not to mention
          a Graphics Novel adaptation of the Hobbit. And yes, we have been to
          Comic-Con.

          Mythically yours,
          Lisa

          JP Massar wrote:

          >>I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
          >>more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
          >>novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
          >>a big comic book?
          >>
          >>Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
          >>comics, but I dug these.
          >>

          >ElfQuest.

        • Carl F. Hostetter
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
            On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Walkermonk@... wrote:

            > Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really
            > like
            > comics, but I dug these.
            >
            > Grace Monk

            And she thought so even BEFORE she got the Big Pink Bottle O' Death. ;)

            Carl
          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
              Elfquest, yes---vol. 1-4 (completes a story arc, and the best part of the
              series). J. Michael Straczynski's *Rising Stars* series.

              *Sandman* is great; look it over and use your judgement. I'd be a bit
              cautious if he's under two digits (9 and below). He may get all the mythic
              references [or not], but it'll get him to ask questions.

              >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
              >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
              >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
              >a big comic book?
              >
              >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
              >comics, but I dug these.

              ElfQuest.

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              http://mail2web.com/ .
            • Walkermonk@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                --

                Yes, I should have mentioned that also. Sandman is for teens, not younger
                children. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

                Grace Monk

              • Mike Foster
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                  Important point: age of the nephew ought to guide advice.

                  Mike Foster