Re: [mythsoc] Graphic novels

  • jack@greenmanreview.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
      > I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
      > more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
      > novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
      > a big comic book?

      How old is he?

      It has some adult themes, but I recommend this one:

      http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_vess_bookofballads.html

      Though it should be notes taht it's a collection of shorter works.
    • Walkermonk@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
        In a message dated 11/22/2004 4:16:07 PM Central Standard Time,
        jalaubacker@... writes:
        I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
        more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
        novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
        a big comic book?

        Jim
        ---

        Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
        comics, but I dug these.

        Grace Monk

      • JP Massar
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004

          >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
          >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
          >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
          >a big comic book?
          >
          >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
          >comics, but I dug these.

          ElfQuest.
        • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
            I agree on Elfquest. The Compilations are big enough to constitute a
            gift and they are fairly easy to get into, yet the stories are rich and
            complex. My duaghter has read all of the series.

            Also the Astrix the Gaul series. They are just comics with a silly
            historical base, but the puns make them more than that. Originally in
            French, they are available in English with intelegent substitutions in
            the puns.

            And don't forget Prince Valiant. They have compiled the stories into books.

            We also have Garfield, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, For Better or Worse,
            and Baby Blues books scattered throughout the house <g>. Not to mention
            a Graphics Novel adaptation of the Hobbit. And yes, we have been to
            Comic-Con.

            Mythically yours,
            Lisa

            JP Massar wrote:

            >>I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
            >>more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
            >>novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
            >>a big comic book?
            >>
            >>Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
            >>comics, but I dug these.
            >>

            >ElfQuest.

          • Carl F. Hostetter
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
              On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Walkermonk@... wrote:

              > Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really
              > like
              > comics, but I dug these.
              >
              > Grace Monk

              And she thought so even BEFORE she got the Big Pink Bottle O' Death. ;)

              Carl
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                Elfquest, yes---vol. 1-4 (completes a story arc, and the best part of the
                series). J. Michael Straczynski's *Rising Stars* series.

                *Sandman* is great; look it over and use your judgement. I'd be a bit
                cautious if he's under two digits (9 and below). He may get all the mythic
                references [or not], but it'll get him to ask questions.

                >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
                >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
                >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
                >a big comic book?
                >
                >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
                >comics, but I dug these.

                ElfQuest.

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Walkermonk@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                  --

                  Yes, I should have mentioned that also. Sandman is for teens, not younger
                  children. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

                  Grace Monk

                • Mike Foster
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                    Important point: age of the nephew ought to guide advice.

                    Mike Foster