Graphic novels

  • karlstar2
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
      I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
      more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
      novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
      a big comic book?

      Jim
    • jack@greenmanreview.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
        > I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
        > more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
        > novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
        > a big comic book?

        How old is he?

        It has some adult themes, but I recommend this one:

        http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book_vess_bookofballads.html

        Though it should be notes taht it's a collection of shorter works.
      • Walkermonk@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
          In a message dated 11/22/2004 4:16:07 PM Central Standard Time,
          jalaubacker@... writes:
          I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
          more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
          novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
          a big comic book?

          Jim
          ---

          Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
          comics, but I dug these.

          Grace Monk

        • JP Massar
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004

            >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
            >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
            >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
            >a big comic book?
            >
            >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
            >comics, but I dug these.

            ElfQuest.
          • Lisa Deutsch Harrigan
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
              I agree on Elfquest. The Compilations are big enough to constitute a
              gift and they are fairly easy to get into, yet the stories are rich and
              complex. My duaghter has read all of the series.

              Also the Astrix the Gaul series. They are just comics with a silly
              historical base, but the puns make them more than that. Originally in
              French, they are available in English with intelegent substitutions in
              the puns.

              And don't forget Prince Valiant. They have compiled the stories into books.

              We also have Garfield, Dilbert, Calvin & Hobbes, For Better or Worse,
              and Baby Blues books scattered throughout the house <g>. Not to mention
              a Graphics Novel adaptation of the Hobbit. And yes, we have been to
              Comic-Con.

              Mythically yours,
              Lisa

              JP Massar wrote:

              >>I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
              >>more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
              >>novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
              >>a big comic book?
              >>
              >>Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
              >>comics, but I dug these.
              >>

              >ElfQuest.

            • Carl F. Hostetter
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 22, 2004
                On Nov 22, 2004, at 5:28 PM, Walkermonk@... wrote:

                > Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really
                > like
                > comics, but I dug these.
                >
                > Grace Monk

                And she thought so even BEFORE she got the Big Pink Bottle O' Death. ;)

                Carl
              • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                  Elfquest, yes---vol. 1-4 (completes a story arc, and the best part of the
                  series). J. Michael Straczynski's *Rising Stars* series.

                  *Sandman* is great; look it over and use your judgement. I'd be a bit
                  cautious if he's under two digits (9 and below). He may get all the mythic
                  references [or not], but it'll get him to ask questions.

                  >I've been debating how to get my nephew, who doesn't like to read,
                  >more interested in reading. I thought I'd possibly try a graphic
                  >novel for Christmas. Can anyone recommend one that is more than just
                  >a big comic book?
                  >
                  >Neil Gaiman's "The Sandman" series is outstanding. I don't even really like
                  >comics, but I dug these.

                  ElfQuest.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  http://mail2web.com/ .
                • Walkermonk@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                    --

                    Yes, I should have mentioned that also. Sandman is for teens, not younger
                    children. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

                    Grace Monk

                  • Mike Foster
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 23, 2004
                      Important point: age of the nephew ought to guide advice.

                      Mike Foster