Re: [mythsoc] Digest Number 1727

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 21, 2004
      At 07:41 PM 11/21/2004 -0600, David Lenander wrote:

      >I also find that much that I might want to label as "trash" actually
      >will yield some treasure if I read it carefully and sympathetically.

      When I do read it, that's what I get: trash with some interesting points.
      There's a huge gap between that and great work that has flaws. I used to
      think it was sometimes worth the trouble to find those interesting points,
      but I've long since given up.

      I hope it's clear that I'm not using "trash" as a synonym for "light
      reading" or anything like that. Light reading can be fun. I mean just
      plain lousy books, most of which are very heavy reading indeed.

      David Bratman