Re: [mythsoc] Re: homo perianensis/folklore

  • Mike Foster
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      Were not the menehune subject of one of the great Carl Barks Scrooge
      McDuck comic books?

      MAF

      Katie Glick wrote:

      >That they should have spawned legends among later
      >

      >>Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
      >>of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
      >>say, leprechauns.
      >>

      >I wonder if these "people" may also have in some way inspired the
      >tales of menehune in Hawaiian folklore, maybe something that was
      >passed down from before the Hawaiian people came to the islands from
      >the South Pacific and evolved into the legends they are today. The
      >menehune of the legends are a small, pot-bellied people who in the
      >stories are great builders and some of the natural phenomena of Hawaii
      >was attributed to the architecture of the menehune. Or are small,
      >mischievous otherworldly folk just some sort of Joseph Campbell-esque
      >archetype of myth and folklore generally?
      >
      >-kt

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
        I know about the Terries & the Fermies and also abt. the tribe of
        perianensis northwoods Indians who speak in the rhythms of Longfellow's
        The Song of Hiawatha.

        The menehune one I recall ends with Scrooge, Donald, Huey, Dewey and
        Louie be swan-songed 'Aloha O' by the menehunes.

        Mike