Re: homo perianensis/folklore

  • Katie Glick
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      That they should have spawned legends among later
      > Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
      > of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
      > say, leprechauns.

      I wonder if these "people" may also have in some way inspired the
      tales of menehune in Hawaiian folklore, maybe something that was
      passed down from before the Hawaiian people came to the islands from
      the South Pacific and evolved into the legends they are today. The
      menehune of the legends are a small, pot-bellied people who in the
      stories are great builders and some of the natural phenomena of Hawaii
      was attributed to the architecture of the menehune. Or are small,
      mischievous otherworldly folk just some sort of Joseph Campbell-esque
      archetype of myth and folklore generally?

      -kt
    • Mike Foster
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
        Were not the menehune subject of one of the great Carl Barks Scrooge
        McDuck comic books?

        MAF

        Katie Glick wrote:

        >That they should have spawned legends among later
        >

        >>Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
        >>of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
        >>say, leprechauns.
        >>

        >I wonder if these "people" may also have in some way inspired the
        >tales of menehune in Hawaiian folklore, maybe something that was
        >passed down from before the Hawaiian people came to the islands from
        >the South Pacific and evolved into the legends they are today. The
        >menehune of the legends are a small, pot-bellied people who in the
        >stories are great builders and some of the natural phenomena of Hawaii
        >was attributed to the architecture of the menehune. Or are small,
        >mischievous otherworldly folk just some sort of Joseph Campbell-esque
        >archetype of myth and folklore generally?
        >
        >-kt

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mike Foster
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
          I know about the Terries & the Fermies and also abt. the tribe of
          perianensis northwoods Indians who speak in the rhythms of Longfellow's
          The Song of Hiawatha.

          The menehune one I recall ends with Scrooge, Donald, Huey, Dewey and
          Louie be swan-songed 'Aloha O' by the menehunes.

          Mike