homo sapiens perian

  • steve
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2004
      > Message: 7
      > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 08:03:10 -0700
      > From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      > Subject: Re: Hobbitses proven
      > At 09:23 PM 10/27/2004 -0500, Steve wrote:
      > >dress 'em up in Edwardian rural garb, and they'd pass.
      > Doubtful, based on the reconstruction of their faces.

      Soft tissue reconstruction is notoriously subject to the artists'

      Some scientists are suggesting that H.S. perianensis are actually a
      local dwarfed form of H s. s., not H. e.

      The whole species thing is fairly standard academic politics as well.
      There is no way to tell whether or not they could interbreed with modern
      types, at least at present. If they find remains in good enough and
      recent enough condition, and can do DNA sequencing, it might be possible
      to show them to be too far away from us. But I'm not inclined to think
      that way at present.

      > Message: 9
      > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 09:09:55 -0700
      > From: Edith.Crowe@...
      > Subject: RE: Hominid in Hobbiton
      > Citation from _Nature_ (online) is as follows:
      > Brown, P. et al. "A New Small-bodied Hominin

      They must have been really cautious to label them just hominin. That
      category belongs to any upright ape in Africa that they can't figure
      into a cladogram.

      > Message: 15
      > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:53:03 -0500
      > From: "Beth Russell" <russells@...>
      > Subject: RE: The latest on homo perianensis
      > "The latest on homo perianensis"

      > There are two alternatives that end up with a better result. First,
      > "perian" could be considered a third declension noun with no nominitave
      > singular termination to the root. Or, since "perian" is a Sindarin
      > word, it could be taken up unchanged as a foreign word. In each case
      > the name would be Homo perian.
      > Some of the reports say that the scientists are not sure the bones are
      > correctly classified in the genus Homo. If not, then perhaps the genus
      > name might be Perian. The specific epithet "floresiensis" already used
      > would have to be transferred to the new genus for reasons of priority of
      > nomenclature, the result being Perian floresiensis.
      > Cheers,
      > Beth

      So, perian is a valid Latin form? I only have "booknote Latin" - the
      ability, from long exposure, to sometimes get the gist of what a
      footnote partially in Latin, is all about.

      Presently I don't think there is much question that they are of the same
      genus and probably species as us. Just a different race. Unless the ebu
      gogo (I wonder how you could get that as a psuedo-philologically derived
      form of "kuduk". Does Grimm's Law work outside of indo-european?)

      > In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:
      > <<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
      > ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
      > colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.
      > >>
      > They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
      > pendek_ ("short people"),

      Isn't it actually "people of the forest"?

      > and there are many records of sightings within living
      > memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
      > findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
      > science.
      > Alexei

      The orang pendek is too big and too ape-like, including a nearly
      opposeable big toe (from prints) ebu gogo has human-like feet. If they
      haven't been wiped out by recent logging, forest fires and jihad, they
      are probably a variety of oran-utan which locomotes uprightly about the
      same proportion as the bonobo do. Or they might be likewise derived from
      the gibbon.

      The semi-mythical negrito of the northern Australian jungle might be
      them, and they might still live in small populations in the area. Or we
      might be a couple hundred years too late.

      > Message: 17
      > Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:06:23 -0700
      > From: David Bratman <dbratman@...>
      > Subject: RE: Hominid in Hobbiton

      > It's interesting that the comparisons are being made, though they're
      > certainly neither true nor relevant. Aside from being small, secretive,
      > and barefoot, these beings clearly have nothing in common with hobbits as
      > Tolkien described them. That they should have spawned legends among later
      > Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
      > of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
      > say, leprechauns.

      All true.

      Though some cryptozoology fans seem to like the idea that they were a
      distinct species and somehow could be behind these legends in some vague
      sense, carried along west in the volkswanderung.

      > This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
      > (not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
      > described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in many cases, as
      > having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of their using
      > fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're dealing with
      > a particular local tradition.
      > Alexei

      Alexei, actually, he seems to be dealing with the last 10 years of
      sporadic scientific expeditions to find the critter, which have turned
      up trails of footprints - with feet with nearly-opposeable thumbs,
      rather like the icon used by the Gnome project in Linux. And hair with
      unidentifiable primate DNA. They may be as real as the Bili ape shown to
      be giant chimpanzees last year.

      HSP floriensis has human-like feet.

      And from a J-text geek:

      steve <sschaper@...>