Re: Re: [mythsoc] The latest on homo perianensis

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
      In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:

      <<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
      appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
      They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
      Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
      also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.

      This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
      (not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
      described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in many cases, as
      having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of their using
      fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're dealing with
      a particular local tradition.
      Alexei
    • Alan Kellogg
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
        >In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:
        >
        ><<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
        >appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
        >They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
        >Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
        >also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
        >>>

        >This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
        >(not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
        >described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in
        >many cases, as
        >having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of
        >their using
        >fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're
        >dealing with
        >a particular local tradition.
        >Alexei

        Could be. Then again, Indonesia is home to many peoples, with many
        tales and legends. The archipelago was also home to modern humans
        long before the modern Indonesian came along, so the local stories of
        little people etc. may well come from stories of encounters by the
        early immigrants with the aborigines. Puzzling out the facts from a
        maze of tales can get frustrating.
        --
        Alan Kellogg

        http://www.mythusmage.com