Re: [mythsoc] The latest on homo perianensis

  • Alan Kellogg
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
      >In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:
      >
      ><<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
      >ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
      >colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.
      >>>

      >They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
      >pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings
      >within living
      >memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
      >findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
      >science.
      >Alexei

      Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
      appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
      They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
      Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
      also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
      --
      Alan Kellogg

      http://www.mythusmage.com

      mailto:mythusmage@...
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
        In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:

        <<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
        appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
        They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
        Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
        also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.

        This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
        (not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
        described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in many cases, as
        having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of their using
        fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're dealing with
        a particular local tradition.
        Alexei
      • Alan Kellogg
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
          >In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:
          >
          ><<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
          >appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
          >They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
          >Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
          >also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
          >>>

          >This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
          >(not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
          >described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in
          >many cases, as
          >having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of
          >their using
          >fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're
          >dealing with
          >a particular local tradition.
          >Alexei

          Could be. Then again, Indonesia is home to many peoples, with many
          tales and legends. The archipelago was also home to modern humans
          long before the modern Indonesian came along, so the local stories of
          little people etc. may well come from stories of encounters by the
          early immigrants with the aborigines. Puzzling out the facts from a
          maze of tales can get frustrating.
          --
          Alan Kellogg

          http://www.mythusmage.com