RE: [mythsoc] Hominid in Hobbiton

  • Alan Kellogg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
      >Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
      >find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
      >big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
      >cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
      >the drama.
      >
      >Lizzie
      >
      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      >lizziewriter@...
      >amor vincit omnia
      >www.lizziewriter.com

      All I can advise is a visit to <http://www.nature.com>, where you can
      find a number of stories on the subject. Picking up a copy of the new
      *Nature* when it's released would also be a good idea.
      --
      Alan Kellogg

      http://www.mythusmage.com

      mailto:mythusmage@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
        At 10:57 AM 10/28/2004 -0500, Beth Russell wrote:

        >The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
        >Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
        >false).

        It's interesting that the comparisons are being made, though they're
        certainly neither true nor relevant. Aside from being small, secretive,
        and barefoot, these beings clearly have nothing in common with hobbits as
        Tolkien described them. That they should have spawned legends among later
        Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
        of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
        say, leprechauns.

        >"Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
        >Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
        >giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
        >dogs."

        This strongly suggests the author has no more knowledge of Middle-earth
        than the infamous Barbara Remington covers to the original Ballantine editions.
      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
          Most likely, the Irish Fionn Cycle, dealing with the stories of Fionn mac
          Cumhail? ---djb

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
            That's what perhaps I thought, but I would like to hear more discussion and
            analysis from those who would know. Even if you look on amazon under
            reviews, there is very little, and it sounds more like criticism of
            original fiction than of retellings. At first I thought it was "that"
            Finn, but there is also use of other popular legendary names, and not,
            perhaps, tied to the characters one would first think of.

            Mr. Hazel is apparently now the HR director, or similar, of a school
            district in my area. I can't find a lot more about him in searches, but I
            am thinking of writing to him. With two shows coming up soon, though,
            everything else is taking a back burner around here.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia