Re: [mythsoc] The latest on homo perianensis

  • alexeik@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
      In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:

      <<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
      ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
      colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.

      They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
      pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings within living
      memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
      findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
      science.
      Alexei
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
        "They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang

        pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings within
        living memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new
        archaeological findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has
        been substantiated by science."

        And if some are ever found alive, the scientific classification will be
        really, really important. If they are "Homo", we send them to school.
        If they are "Perian", they go to the zoo.

        Cheers,

        Beth

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Alan Kellogg
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
          >In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:
          >
          ><<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
          >ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
          >colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.
          >>>

          >They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
          >pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings
          >within living
          >memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
          >findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
          >science.
          >Alexei

          Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
          appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
          They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
          Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
          also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
          --
          Alan Kellogg

          http://www.mythusmage.com

          mailto:mythusmage@...
        • alexeik@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
            In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:

            <<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
            appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
            They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
            Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
            also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.

            This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
            (not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
            described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in many cases, as
            having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of their using
            fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're dealing with
            a particular local tradition.
            Alexei
          • Alan Kellogg
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
              >In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:
              >
              ><<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
              >appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
              >They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
              >Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
              >also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
              >>>

              >This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
              >(not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
              >described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in
              >many cases, as
              >having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of
              >their using
              >fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're
              >dealing with
              >a particular local tradition.
              >Alexei

              Could be. Then again, Indonesia is home to many peoples, with many
              tales and legends. The archipelago was also home to modern humans
              long before the modern Indonesian came along, so the local stories of
              little people etc. may well come from stories of encounters by the
              early immigrants with the aborigines. Puzzling out the facts from a
              maze of tales can get frustrating.
              --
              Alan Kellogg

              http://www.mythusmage.com