RE: [mythsoc] The latest on homo perianensis

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
      "The latest on homo perianensis"

      I like your suggestion for a scientific name. Small correction: the
      suffix -ensis means "from a certain place" (e.g., neandertalensis for
      the Neanderthal folk because the first description was based on bones
      from the Neandertal valley in Germany).

      I think "periannath" would be a noun in apposition to the genus name
      Homo. If the root "perian" were Latinized in the second declension then
      the species name would be Homo perianus. This form of the word might
      have an unfortunate impression in English.

      There are two alternatives that end up with a better result. First,
      "perian" could be considered a third declension noun with no nominitave
      singular termination to the root. Or, since "perian" is a Sindarin
      word, it could be taken up unchanged as a foreign word. In each case
      the name would be Homo perian.

      Some of the reports say that the scientists are not sure the bones are
      correctly classified in the genus Homo. If not, then perhaps the genus
      name might be Perian. The specific epithet "floresiensis" already used
      would have to be transferred to the new genus for reasons of priority of
      nomenclature, the result being Perian floresiensis.

      Cheers,

      Beth

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • alexeik@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
        In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:

        <<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
        ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
        colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.

        They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
        pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings within living
        memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
        findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
        science.
        Alexei
      • Beth Russell
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
          "They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang

          pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings within
          living memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new
          archaeological findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has
          been substantiated by science."

          And if some are ever found alive, the scientific classification will be
          really, really important. If they are "Homo", we send them to school.
          If they are "Perian", they go to the zoo.

          Cheers,

          Beth

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Alan Kellogg
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 28, 2004
            >In a message dated 10/28/4 5:05:59 PM, sschaper wrote:
            >
            ><<They suspect they were wiped out by a volcanic explosion 12,000 years
            >ago, but local folktales suggest they were still alive when the Dutch
            >colonized in the 1500s. They were a shy, secretive folk, after all.
            >>>

            >They're a common feature in Malay folklore, where they're called _orang
            >pendek_ ("short people"), and there are many records of sightings
            >within living
            >memory. They've always been described pretty much as the new archaeological
            >findings have them -- which suggests that the legend has been substantiated by
            >science.
            >Alexei

            Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
            appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
            They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
            Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
            also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
            --
            Alan Kellogg

            http://www.mythusmage.com

            mailto:mythusmage@...
          • alexeik@aol.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
              In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:

              <<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
              appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
              They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
              Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
              also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.

              This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
              (not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
              described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in many cases, as
              having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of their using
              fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're dealing with
              a particular local tradition.
              Alexei
            • Alan Kellogg
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 29, 2004
                >In a message dated 10/28/4 7:26:24 PM, Alan Kellogg wrote:
                >
                ><<Not quite. According to those who are studying the orang pendak it's
                >appearance is more that of an orang utang with an upright posture.
                >They are also around 5 feet tall according to the accounts. H.
                >Floresiensis only got to about 3 feet in height. The orang pendak is
                >also not known to be a tool maker or fire user.
                >>>

                >This doesn't jibe with the many stories I've heard about the _orang pendek_
                >(not "pendak"). The account of their height varies, but they're usually
                >described as much more human-like than orangutans -- notably, in
                >many cases, as
                >having a full head of long hair. It's true that I've never heard of
                >their using
                >fire, but there are stories where they throw darts. I suspect you're
                >dealing with
                >a particular local tradition.
                >Alexei

                Could be. Then again, Indonesia is home to many peoples, with many
                tales and legends. The archipelago was also home to modern humans
                long before the modern Indonesian came along, so the local stories of
                little people etc. may well come from stories of encounters by the
                early immigrants with the aborigines. Puzzling out the facts from a
                maze of tales can get frustrating.
                --
                Alan Kellogg

                http://www.mythusmage.com