RE: [mythsoc] Hominid in Hobbiton

  • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
      Citation from _Nature_ (online) is as follows:

      Brown, P. et al. "A New Small-bodied Hominin [sic] from the Late
      Pleistocence of Flores, Indonesia. _Nature_ 431, 1055-1061(28 October
      2004). The journal web site has a lot on it also, try
      http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html--I think you can get
      this without being a subscriber.

      There was a major article on this find in my local newspaper this morning
      (San Jose Mercury News). Charts & diagrams included.

      Edith L. Crowe
      Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
      http://www.mythsoc.org

      "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      10/28/2004 06:54 AM
      Please respond to mythsoc

      To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
      cc:
      Subject: RE: [mythsoc] Hominid in Hobbiton

      Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
      find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations.

      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      Yahoo! Groups Links
      To visit your group on the web, go to:

    • Alan Kellogg
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
        >Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
        >find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
        >big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
        >cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
        >the drama.
        >
        >Lizzie
        >
        >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        >lizziewriter@...
        >amor vincit omnia
        >www.lizziewriter.com

        All I can advise is a visit to <http://www.nature.com>, where you can
        find a number of stories on the subject. Picking up a copy of the new
        *Nature* when it's released would also be a good idea.
        --
        Alan Kellogg

        http://www.mythusmage.com

        mailto:mythusmage@...
      • alexeik@aol.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
          In a message dated 10/28/4 1:56:15 PM, Lizzie wrote:

          <<there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
          cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
          the drama.>>

          This is not just a previously unknown human population, but a distinct
          species of hominid that nevertheless used tools and weapons. Also, no natural human
          population consists of individuals three feet tall (discovering a species of
          ten-foot-tall hominids would be equally newsworthy).
          Alexei
        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
            Thanks, all. I did find the internet links, and am going to scout around
            for magazine backup.

            For myself, I believe they would have belonged more to the Dreamtime than
            to the Hill.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
              At 10:57 AM 10/28/2004 -0500, Beth Russell wrote:

              >The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
              >Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
              >false).

              It's interesting that the comparisons are being made, though they're
              certainly neither true nor relevant. Aside from being small, secretive,
              and barefoot, these beings clearly have nothing in common with hobbits as
              Tolkien described them. That they should have spawned legends among later
              Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
              of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
              say, leprechauns.

              >"Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
              >Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
              >giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
              >dogs."

              This strongly suggests the author has no more knowledge of Middle-earth
              than the infamous Barbara Remington covers to the original Ballantine editions.
            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                Most likely, the Irish Fionn Cycle, dealing with the stories of Fionn mac
                Cumhail? ---djb

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                  That's what perhaps I thought, but I would like to hear more discussion and
                  analysis from those who would know. Even if you look on amazon under
                  reviews, there is very little, and it sounds more like criticism of
                  original fiction than of retellings. At first I thought it was "that"
                  Finn, but there is also use of other popular legendary names, and not,
                  perhaps, tied to the characters one would first think of.

                  Mr. Hazel is apparently now the HR director, or similar, of a school
                  district in my area. I can't find a lot more about him in searches, but I
                  am thinking of writing to him. With two shows coming up soon, though,
                  everything else is taking a back burner around here.

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia