Re: [mythsoc] Hobbitses proven

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004
      At 09:23 PM 10/27/2004 -0500, Steve wrote:

      >dress 'em up in Edwardian rural garb, and they'd pass.

      Doubtful, based on the reconstruction of their faces.

      >I can't find the passage where Tolkien wrote that even at the end of the
      >Third Age, there were still "crude rustic hobbits out in the wild who
      >would dig a hole for the night and then move on" Or words roughly to
      >that effect?

      Book 1, chapter 9: "There were probably many more Outsiders scattered about
      in the West of the World in those days than the people of the Shire
      imagined. Some, doubtless, were no better than tramps, ready to dig a hole
      in any bank and stay only as long as it suited them. But in the Bree-land,
      at any rate, the hobbits were decent and prosperous, and no more rustic
      than most of their distant relatives Inside."