Hobbitses proven

  • steve
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2004
      dress 'em up in Edwardian rural garb, and they'd pass. Intelligence is a
      mysterious thing, not tied directly to size, but to neuronal
      connections, and, I suspect, things we don't know about yet.

      I can't find the passage where Tolkien wrote that even at the end of the
      Third Age, there were still "crude rustic hobbits out in the wild who
      would dig a hole for the night and then move on" Or words roughly to
      that effect?
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 28, 2004
        At 09:23 PM 10/27/2004 -0500, Steve wrote:

        >dress 'em up in Edwardian rural garb, and they'd pass.

        Doubtful, based on the reconstruction of their faces.

        >I can't find the passage where Tolkien wrote that even at the end of the
        >Third Age, there were still "crude rustic hobbits out in the wild who
        >would dig a hole for the night and then move on" Or words roughly to
        >that effect?

        Book 1, chapter 9: "There were probably many more Outsiders scattered about
        in the West of the World in those days than the people of the Shire
        imagined. Some, doubtless, were no better than tramps, ready to dig a hole
        in any bank and stay only as long as it suited them. But in the Bree-land,
        at any rate, the hobbits were decent and prosperous, and no more rustic
        than most of their distant relatives Inside."