Re: [mythsoc] Hominid in Hobbiton

  • Alan Kellogg
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 27, 2004
      Hi Beth,

      You can thank the LotR movie for the wide familiarity with 'hobbit'.
      I expect a term such as dwarf would offend some in the readership,
      most likely self appointed defenders of the rights of the Little
      People. So they went with a word they thought was 'friendlier'.

      BTW, the BBC, Washington Post, and Nature apparently went with
      'hobbit' as well.
      --
      Alan Kellogg

      http://www.mythusmage.com

      mailto:mythusmage@...
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
        In a message dated 10/27/2004 9:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        mythusmage@... writes:

        > I expect a term such as dwarf would offend some . . .

        "Dwarf" would also be inaccurate. To be a dwarf, in the usual medical sense,
        means not just that someone is short but that their proportions don't match
        usual proportions. They would tend to have shorter limbs and larger heads than
        one would expect.

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
          Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
          find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
          big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
          cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
          the drama.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia
          www.lizziewriter.com

        • dianejoy@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
            I suspect the "drama" is having the scientific theories you've held for
            years knocked into a cocked hat. ---djb

            Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
            find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
            big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
            cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
            the drama.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia
            www.lizziewriter.com

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://mail2web.com/ .
          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
              The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
              Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
              false). I think there is more than just The Movie shown here because
              the article mentions Smaug as well (although erroneously placing him in
              "The Lord of the Rings").

              These are the relevant paragraphs in that particular article:

              "The finding on a remote Indonesian island has stunned anthropologists
              like no other in recent memory. It is a fundamentally new creature that
              bears more of a resemblance to fictional, barefooted hobbits than modern
              humans. "

              "Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
              Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
              giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
              dogs."

              "It even had a dragon, although they were giant lizards like today's
              carnivorous Komodo dragons rather than the treasure-hoarding Smaug
              described by novelist J.R.R. Tolkien in his "Lord of the Rings"
              trilogy."

              A USA Today article says this morning:

              "Fans of The Lord of the Rings may be interested to know that a remote
              Indonesian island has yielded the remains of pint-size people - a
              surprising new human species - that paleontologists say lived just
              18,000 years ago.

              In fact, scientists have nicknamed the new creature "Hobbit" after the
              diminutive folks in the famed J.R.R. Tolkien trilogy. Fiction aside, the
              discovery reported today by an Australian paleontology team is a big
              deal, challenging decades of human-origins research."

              From the "Middle-earth Studies" point of view, the third paragraph of
              the Prologue to LOTR says "Hobbits are [. . .] a very ancient people [.
              . .]". Were these skeletons the last of the hobbits, hidden on their
              island from the Big Folk "until the Dragon" came" (which the scientists
              are interpreting as a volcanic event)?

              Beth

              Yahoo! Groups Links
            • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                Citation from _Nature_ (online) is as follows:

                Brown, P. et al. "A New Small-bodied Hominin [sic] from the Late
                Pleistocence of Flores, Indonesia. _Nature_ 431, 1055-1061(28 October
                2004). The journal web site has a lot on it also, try
                http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html--I think you can get
                this without being a subscriber.

                There was a major article on this find in my local newspaper this morning
                (San Jose Mercury News). Charts & diagrams included.

                Edith L. Crowe
                Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
                http://www.mythsoc.org

                "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
                10/28/2004 06:54 AM
                Please respond to mythsoc

                To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                cc:

                Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
                find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations.

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                Yahoo! Groups Links
                To visit your group on the web, go to:

              • Alan Kellogg
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                  >Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
                  >find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
                  >big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
                  >cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
                  >the drama.
                  >
                  >Lizzie
                  >
                  >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  >lizziewriter@...
                  >amor vincit omnia
                  >www.lizziewriter.com

                  All I can advise is a visit to <http://www.nature.com>, where you can
                  find a number of stories on the subject. Picking up a copy of the new
                  *Nature* when it's released would also be a good idea.
                  --
                  Alan Kellogg

                  http://www.mythusmage.com

                  mailto:mythusmage@...
                • alexeik@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                    In a message dated 10/28/4 1:56:15 PM, Lizzie wrote:

                    <<there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
                    cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
                    the drama.>>

                    This is not just a previously unknown human population, but a distinct
                    species of hominid that nevertheless used tools and weapons. Also, no natural human
                    population consists of individuals three feet tall (discovering a species of
                    ten-foot-tall hominids would be equally newsworthy).
                    Alexei
                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                      Thanks, all. I did find the internet links, and am going to scout around
                      for magazine backup.

                      For myself, I believe they would have belonged more to the Dreamtime than
                      to the Hill.

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia
                      www.lizziewriter.com

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                        At 10:57 AM 10/28/2004 -0500, Beth Russell wrote:

                        >The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
                        >Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
                        >false).

                        It's interesting that the comparisons are being made, though they're
                        certainly neither true nor relevant. Aside from being small, secretive,
                        and barefoot, these beings clearly have nothing in common with hobbits as
                        Tolkien described them. That they should have spawned legends among later
                        Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
                        of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
                        say, leprechauns.

                        >"Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
                        >Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
                        >giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
                        >dogs."

                        This strongly suggests the author has no more knowledge of Middle-earth
                        than the infamous Barbara Remington covers to the original Ballantine editions.
                      • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                          Most likely, the Irish Fionn Cycle, dealing with the stories of Fionn mac
                          Cumhail? ---djb

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                            That's what perhaps I thought, but I would like to hear more discussion and
                            analysis from those who would know. Even if you look on amazon under
                            reviews, there is very little, and it sounds more like criticism of
                            original fiction than of retellings. At first I thought it was "that"
                            Finn, but there is also use of other popular legendary names, and not,
                            perhaps, tied to the characters one would first think of.

                            Mr. Hazel is apparently now the HR director, or similar, of a school
                            district in my area. I can't find a lot more about him in searches, but I
                            am thinking of writing to him. With two shows coming up soon, though,
                            everything else is taking a back burner around here.

                            Lizzie

                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia