Paul Hazel's Finnbranch

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 26, 2004
      I have just finished reading Paul Hazel's _Yearwood_, the first book in the
      Finnbranch trilogy. I know I have not read any other Hazel. The cadence,
      or style, of this book is so familiar though, and many of the names are as
      well. I realize these are separate issues. Does anyone know if his Finn
      legend is based on any single story or set of tales, or just generally set
      in the, what would you call it? semi-Celtic-Gaelic-storylands? And the
      cadence, it recalls something, but I am not sure what. Anyone?

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      www.lizziewriter.com
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 27, 2004
        Hey! Look at all these comparisons! Keep reading and you will even
        find Smaug. (A pity the headline didn't say Hobbit rather than Dwarf.)

        Beth

        Scientists Find Prehistoric Dwarf Skeleton

        By JOSEPH B. VERRENGIA, AP Science Writer

        In an astonishing discovery that could rewrite the history of human
        evolution, scientists say they have found the skeleton of a new human
        species, a dwarf, marooned for eons in a tropical Lost World while
        modern man rapidly colonized the rest of the planet.

        The finding on a remote Indonesian island has stunned anthropologists
        like no other in recent memory. It is a fundamentally new creature that
        bears more of a resemblance to fictional, barefooted hobbits than modern
        humans.

        Yet biologically speaking, it may have been closely related to us and
        perhaps even shared its caves with our ancestors.

        The 3-foot-tall adult female skeleton found in a cave is believed 18,000
        years old. It smashes the long-cherished scientific belief that our
        species, Homo sapiens, systematically crowded out other upright-walking
        human cousins beginning 160,000 years ago and that we've had Earth to
        ourselves for tens of thousands of years.

        Instead, it suggests recent evolution was more complex than previously
        thought.

        And it demonstrates that Africa, the acknowledged cradle of humanity,
        does not hold all the answers to persistent questions of how - and where
        - we came to be.

        "This finding really does rewrite our knowledge of human evolution,"
        said Chris Stringer, who directs human origins studies at the Natural
        History Museum in London. "And to have them present less than 20,000
        years ago is frankly astonishing."

        Scientists called the dwarf skeleton "the most extreme" figure to be
        included in the extended human family. Certainly, she is the shortest.

        She is the best example of a trove of fragmented bones that account for
        as many as seven of these primitive individuals that lived on the
        equatorial island of Flores, located east of Java and northwest of
        Australia. The mostly intact female skeleton was found in September
        2003.

        Scientists have named the extinct species Homo floresiensis, or Flores
        Man, and details appear in Thursday's issue of the journal Nature.

        The specimens' ages range from 95,000 to 12,000 years old, meaning they
        lived until the threshold of recorded human history and perhaps crossed
        paths with the ancestors of today's islanders.

        Flores Man was hardly formidable. His grapefruit-sized brain was
        two-thirds smaller than ours, and closer to the brains of today's
        chimpanzees and transitional prehuman species in Africa than vanished 2
        million years ago.

        Yet Flores Man made stone tools, lit fires and organized group hunts for
        meat. Bones of fish, birds and rodents found near the skeleton were
        charred, suggesting they were cooked.

        All this suggests Flores Man lived communally and communicated
        effectively, perhaps even verbally.

        "It is arguably the most significant discovery concerning our own genus
        in my lifetime," said anthropologist Bernard Wood of George Washington
        University, who reviewed the research independently.

        Discoveries simply "don't get any better than that," proclaimed Robert
        Foley and Marta Mirazon Lahr of Cambridge University in a written
        analysis.

        To others, the species' baffling combination of slight dimensions and
        coarse features bears almost no meaningful comparison either to modern
        humans or to our larger, archaic cousins.

        They suggest that Flores Man doesn't belong in the genus Homo at all,
        even if it was a recent contemporary. But they are unsure where to
        classify it.

        "I don't think anybody can pigeonhole this into the very simple-minded
        theories of what is human," anthropologist Jeffrey Schwartz of the
        University of Pittsburgh. "There is no biological reason to call it
        Homo. We have to rethink what it is."

        For now, most researchers have been limited to examining digital
        photographs of the specimens. The female partial skeleton and other
        fragments are stored in a laboratory in Jakarta, Indonesia.

        Researchers from Australia and Indonesia found the partial skeleton 13
        months ago in a shallow limestone cave known as Liang Bua. The cave,
        which extends into a hillside for about 130 feet, has been the subject
        of scientific analysis since 1964. Fenced off and patrolled by guards,
        it is surrounded by coffee farms.

        Older stone tools and other artifacts previously found on the island
        suggest that Flores Man is part of a substantial archaic human lineage.

        "So the 18,000-year-old skeleton cannot be some kind of 'freak' that we
        just happened to stumble across," said one of the discoverers,
        radiocarbon dating expert Richard G. Roberts of the University of
        Wollongong in Australia.

        But the environment in which Flores Man lived was indeed peculiar, and
        scientists say it probably contributed to the specimen's unusually small
        dimensions.

        Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
        Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
        giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
        dogs.

        It even had a dragon, although they were giant lizards like today's
        carnivorous Komodo dragons rather than the treasure-hoarding Smaug
        described by novelist J.R.R. Tolkien in his "Lord of the Rings" trilogy.

        Artifacts suggest that a big-boned human cousin, Homo erectus, migrated
        from Java to Flores and other islands, perhaps by bamboo raft, nearly 1
        million years ago.

        Researchers suspect that Flores Man probably is an H. erectus descendant
        that was squeezed by the pressures of natural selection.

        Nature is full of mammals - deer, squirrels and pigs, for example -
        living in marginal, isolated environments that gradually dwarf when food
        isn't plentiful and predators aren't threatening.

        This is the first time that the evolution of dwarfism has been recorded
        in a human relative, said the study's lead author, Peter Brown of the
        University of New England in Australia.

        Just how this primitive, remnant species managed to hang on is
        uncertain. Inbreeding certainly would've been a danger. Geologic
        evidence suggests a massive volcanic eruption sealed its fate some
        12,000 years ago, along with other unusual island species like the dwarf
        elephant species, stegodon.

        Now, scientists are more puzzled by the specimen's jumble of features
        that appear to be borrowed from different human ancestors.

        This much is clear: Its worn teeth and fused skull show it was an adult.
        The shape of the pelvis is female. The skull is wide like H. erectus.
        But the sides are rounder and the crown traces an arc from ear to ear.
        The skull of H. erectus has straight sides and a pointed crown, they
        said.

        The lower jaw contains large, blunt teeth and roots like
        Australopithecus, a prehuman ancestor in Africa more than 3 million
        years ago. The front teeth are smaller and more like modern human teeth.

        The eye sockets are big and round, but unlike other members of the Homo
        genus, it has hardly any chin or browline.

        The rest of the skeleton looks as if it walked upright, but the pelvis
        and the shinbone have primitive, even apelike features.

        Bones from the species' feet and hands have not yet been found. Delicate
        artifacts found in the cave were described as "toy-sized" versions of
        stone tools made by H. erectus. They suggest that Flores Man retained
        intelligence and dexterity to flake small weapons with sharp edges, even
        if its body shrunk over time.

        "I've spent a sleepless night trying to figure out what to do with this
        thing," said Schwartz. "It's a mind-blower. It makes me think of nothing
        else in this world."

        Even more speculative is whether Flores Man met with modern humans, and
        what might've happened.

        Folklore experts have reported persistent legends of little people
        living on Flores and nearby islands. Islanders called the creature "Ebu
        Gogo" and say it was about 3 feet tall.

        ___

        Associated Press writers Emma Ross in London and Chris Brummit in
        Jakarta contributed to this report.
      • Alan Kellogg
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 27, 2004
          Hi Beth,

          You can thank the LotR movie for the wide familiarity with 'hobbit'.
          I expect a term such as dwarf would offend some in the readership,
          most likely self appointed defenders of the rights of the Little
          People. So they went with a word they thought was 'friendlier'.

          BTW, the BBC, Washington Post, and Nature apparently went with
          'hobbit' as well.
          --
          Alan Kellogg

          http://www.mythusmage.com

          mailto:mythusmage@...
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
            In a message dated 10/27/2004 9:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
            mythusmage@... writes:

            > I expect a term such as dwarf would offend some . . .

            "Dwarf" would also be inaccurate. To be a dwarf, in the usual medical sense,
            means not just that someone is short but that their proportions don't match
            usual proportions. They would tend to have shorter limbs and larger heads than
            one would expect.

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
              Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
              find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
              big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
              cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
              the drama.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia
              www.lizziewriter.com

            • dianejoy@earthlink.net
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                I suspect the "drama" is having the scientific theories you've held for
                years knocked into a cocked hat. ---djb

                Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
                find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
                big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
                cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
                the drama.

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia
                www.lizziewriter.com

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                http://mail2web.com/ .
              • Beth Russell
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                  The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
                  Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
                  false). I think there is more than just The Movie shown here because
                  the article mentions Smaug as well (although erroneously placing him in
                  "The Lord of the Rings").

                  These are the relevant paragraphs in that particular article:

                  "The finding on a remote Indonesian island has stunned anthropologists
                  like no other in recent memory. It is a fundamentally new creature that
                  bears more of a resemblance to fictional, barefooted hobbits than modern
                  humans. "

                  "Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
                  Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
                  giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
                  dogs."

                  "It even had a dragon, although they were giant lizards like today's
                  carnivorous Komodo dragons rather than the treasure-hoarding Smaug
                  described by novelist J.R.R. Tolkien in his "Lord of the Rings"
                  trilogy."

                  A USA Today article says this morning:

                  "Fans of The Lord of the Rings may be interested to know that a remote
                  Indonesian island has yielded the remains of pint-size people - a
                  surprising new human species - that paleontologists say lived just
                  18,000 years ago.

                  In fact, scientists have nicknamed the new creature "Hobbit" after the
                  diminutive folks in the famed J.R.R. Tolkien trilogy. Fiction aside, the
                  discovery reported today by an Australian paleontology team is a big
                  deal, challenging decades of human-origins research."

                  From the "Middle-earth Studies" point of view, the third paragraph of
                  the Prologue to LOTR says "Hobbits are [. . .] a very ancient people [.
                  . .]". Were these skeletons the last of the hobbits, hidden on their
                  island from the Big Folk "until the Dragon" came" (which the scientists
                  are interpreting as a volcanic event)?

                  Beth

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Edith.Crowe@sjsu.edu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                    Citation from _Nature_ (online) is as follows:

                    Brown, P. et al. "A New Small-bodied Hominin [sic] from the Late
                    Pleistocence of Flores, Indonesia. _Nature_ 431, 1055-1061(28 October
                    2004). The journal web site has a lot on it also, try
                    http://www.nature.com/news/specials/flores/index.html--I think you can get
                    this without being a subscriber.

                    There was a major article on this find in my local newspaper this morning
                    (San Jose Mercury News). Charts & diagrams included.

                    Edith L. Crowe
                    Corresponding Secretary of the Mythopoeic Society
                    http://www.mythsoc.org

                    "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
                    10/28/2004 06:54 AM
                    Please respond to mythsoc

                    To: mythsoc@yahoogroups.com
                    cc:

                    Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
                    find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations.

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                    To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  • Alan Kellogg
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                      >Well I am still sorting messages, but is this for real? Would be good to
                      >find a magazine with charts, pictures and citations. Still I don't see the
                      >big deal... there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
                      >cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
                      >the drama.
                      >
                      >Lizzie
                      >
                      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      >lizziewriter@...
                      >amor vincit omnia
                      >www.lizziewriter.com

                      All I can advise is a visit to <http://www.nature.com>, where you can
                      find a number of stories on the subject. Picking up a copy of the new
                      *Nature* when it's released would also be a good idea.
                      --
                      Alan Kellogg

                      http://www.mythusmage.com

                      mailto:mythusmage@...
                    • alexeik@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                        In a message dated 10/28/4 1:56:15 PM, Lizzie wrote:

                        <<there has always been a wide variety of humankind, and isolated
                        cultures can be very short or tall. Makes good reading, but I don't get
                        the drama.>>

                        This is not just a previously unknown human population, but a distinct
                        species of hominid that nevertheless used tools and weapons. Also, no natural human
                        population consists of individuals three feet tall (discovering a species of
                        ten-foot-tall hominids would be equally newsworthy).
                        Alexei
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                          Thanks, all. I did find the internet links, and am going to scout around
                          for magazine backup.

                          For myself, I believe they would have belonged more to the Dreamtime than
                          to the Hill.

                          Lizzie

                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia
                          www.lizziewriter.com

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 28, 2004
                            At 10:57 AM 10/28/2004 -0500, Beth Russell wrote:

                            >The drama is not in the discovery, interesting as it is, but in the
                            >Tolkenian comparisons being made in the reports (whether they be true or
                            >false).

                            It's interesting that the comparisons are being made, though they're
                            certainly neither true nor relevant. Aside from being small, secretive,
                            and barefoot, these beings clearly have nothing in common with hobbits as
                            Tolkien described them. That they should have spawned legends among later
                            Indonesians is interesting, as Tolkien evidently intended readers to think
                            of hobbits as the "real" story behind elusive small European peoples like,
                            say, leprechauns.

                            >"Millenia ago, Flores was a kind of a looking-glass world, a real-life
                            >Middle-earth inhabited by a menagerie of fantastical creatures like
                            >giant tortoises, elephants as small as ponies and rats as big as hunting
                            >dogs."

                            This strongly suggests the author has no more knowledge of Middle-earth
                            than the infamous Barbara Remington covers to the original Ballantine editions.
                          • dianejoy@earthlink.net
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                              Most likely, the Irish Fionn Cycle, dealing with the stories of Fionn mac
                              Cumhail? ---djb

                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 29, 2004
                                That's what perhaps I thought, but I would like to hear more discussion and
                                analysis from those who would know. Even if you look on amazon under
                                reviews, there is very little, and it sounds more like criticism of
                                original fiction than of retellings. At first I thought it was "that"
                                Finn, but there is also use of other popular legendary names, and not,
                                perhaps, tied to the characters one would first think of.

                                Mr. Hazel is apparently now the HR director, or similar, of a school
                                district in my area. I can't find a lot more about him in searches, but I
                                am thinking of writing to him. With two shows coming up soon, though,
                                everything else is taking a back burner around here.

                                Lizzie

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia