Re: [mythsoc] Posting etiquette

  • Deidre
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2004
      At 06:45 PM 10/17/04 -0400, mkk wrote:

      >I wonder if I could remind people that it is considered good practice to
      >trim most everything you are not replying directly to out of replies. I
      >just read one that was 20 screens on my email reader. Of which 2 were
      >response and 1 was what was being responded to

      Thank you for saying what I have been thinking. *smiles*

      And now we see one of the problems with top-posting. I realise that OE and
      many other mail programs are by default set to reply by quoting the message
      below, but such settings can be easily changed or gotten around by just
      moving the cursor.

      Here's a link that I send out to folks on my mailing lists:

      Mailing List Etiquette FAQ

      <http://www.gweep.ca/~edmonds/usenet/ml-etiquette.html>

      *****************************
      And another bit:

      Why it's a good idea to quote SELECTIVELY:
      It's considerate of other people's time and Internet resources to only
      quote relevant parts of an e-mail message you're responding to. If a person
      writes 3 new lines and quotes a 110 line original message that may mean
      that up to several hundred people have to waste time skipping, skipping
      down to try to find the next "new" stuff. If two quoted lines were enough
      to tell what the person is responding to, then with regard to what was quoted:

      * The computer server is having to store fifty times more information than
      is necessary.
      * For every 100 people who are subscribers to the list, the Internet is
      having to transmit five thousand times more information than is necessary.
      * Other people on the list are having to wade through fifty times more old
      information than they should have to.

      ***********************

      Something else to consider: many people are still on dial-up, especially
      those in countries besides the USA. In many of those countries, people not
      only pay for every minute that they are using the phone line, they also
      often have to pay for every minute of Internet time as well.

      And there are also those who are visually challenged who "read" the 'Net
      via a text speaker, and can have problems with non-edited emails.

      There's a quote from DLS (I think in 'Gaudy Night') where someone at Oxford
      says something to the effect that there must be consideration for others in
      community life. (Exact quote not to hand, as DLS books packed up, still,
      alas.) And if the 'Net isn't a rather large community, then I don't know
      what is.

      Joan, please pardon MKK and myself if we've stepped on your moderator toes,
      but we do mean well in wishing this wonderful yahoo group to be amongst the
      best of its kind. *smiles*

      HTH,
      Deidre