Re: [mythsoc] Kanes

  • Mark Hall
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
      On 10/17/2004, "Alan Kellogg" <mythusmage@...> wrote:

      >Kane was also as Robert E. Howard saw himself. A dark soul. As
      >opposed to Conan, who was Robert as he wished to be, or Kull; Robert
      >as he was.

      Personally, I'll have to disagree. The bulk of the Kull stories were
      written in the late 1920s--REH still had another 7 years to go in life.
      As for Solomon Kane, the bulk of those were also written before 1930 too.

      >For Howard was a complex man, burdened with a despairing
      >nature, a disabling social phobia, and fear of homosexuality. >

      Given his letters, how can you say he had a "social phobia"? He
      corresponded with a variety of people and had a social life--its clear
      in his letters to Tevis Clyde Smith he had several friends in the
      Brownwood and Cross Plains area. He travelled throughout Texas and the
      Southwest and into northern Mexico.

      As for a fear of homosexuality, never thought about it in his work. It
      doesn't crop up in his published letters like it does in Lovecraft's
      letters though.

      Best, MEH
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
        Howard was kind of a strange person. There's a memoir, _One Who Walked
        Alone_, by a woman named Novalyne Price Ellis with whom Howard had what was not
        quite a romance. It was actually made into a movie called _The Whole Wide World_
        with Vincent D'Onofrio as Howard and Renee Zellweger as Novalyne. Howard's
        personality is not easy to explain.

      • Mary Kay
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
          > Message: 4
          > Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:27:30 -0400
          > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
          > Subject: Kanes
          >

          > So, who has read Wagner's Kane series and Howard's Kane books? I haven't
          > read either, and I have heard of both, but I can't keep them straight. The
          > former are not easy to find, and there are just so many other things that I
          > want to read first but if anyone wants to pontificate let's hear it.

          Well, not pontificating exactly. I've read all of Wagner's Kane:
          they're about the Biblical Cain as he lives down through time. I don't
          think I've read the Solomon Kanes though. The Wagner Kane has been out
          of print for many years, but Nightshade is reissuing a collection of the
          short stories.
          http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=2-1892389517-0
          MKK