Re: [mythsoc] Kanes

  • Alan Kellogg
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
      >On 10/16/2004, "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
      >wrote:
      >

      >>So, who has read Wagner's Kane series and Howard's Kane books? I haven't
      >>read either, and I have heard of both, but I can't keep them straight. The
      >>former are not easy to find, and there are just so many other things that I
      >>want to read first but if anyone wants to pontificate let's hear it.
      >
      >There are trade editions in hardback of all of Wagner's Kane novels and
      >stories. Midnight House I believe is the publisher. Many of the
      >paperbacks
      >can be picked up cheaply on eBay and second-hand on Amazon. Wagner's
      >Kane, IMO, varies in quality--some brilliantly written, others not so
      >well done. But then Wagner had his troubles in life in his later years,
      >so, it probably had an effect on his writing.
      >
      >Howard's Solomon Kane is readily available these days in a Del-Rey tpb.
      >His Puritan adventurer has no relation to Wagner's Kane (and Wagner
      >wasn't pastiching REH in this case). One thing you have to remember
      >when reading REH is that he wrote in the 1930s and should be judged by
      >the standards of his day and not ours. Another that is relevant for
      >Solomon Kane is that he was written early in REH's career and some of
      >the stories are not the best of REH.
      >
      >Enjoy, Mark Hall

      In addition, Kane was the Puritan as Robert saw them. In particular,
      the sort of Puritan who would go off and face dark evils and great
      perils.

      Kane was also as Robert E. Howard saw himself. A dark soul. As
      opposed to Conan, who was Robert as he wished to be, or Kull; Robert
      as he was.For Howard was a complex man, burdened with a despairing
      nature, a disabling social phobia, and fear of homosexuality. Solomon
      Kane and what he faced in the tales were Robert's fears of what he was

      Which is how I understand things regarding Robert E. Howard. For all
      tales show the teller as he understands himself.
      --
      Alan Kellogg

      http://www.mythusmage.com

      mailto:mythusmage@...
    • Mark Hall
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
        On 10/17/2004, "Alan Kellogg" <mythusmage@...> wrote:

        >Kane was also as Robert E. Howard saw himself. A dark soul. As
        >opposed to Conan, who was Robert as he wished to be, or Kull; Robert
        >as he was.

        Personally, I'll have to disagree. The bulk of the Kull stories were
        written in the late 1920s--REH still had another 7 years to go in life.
        As for Solomon Kane, the bulk of those were also written before 1930 too.

        >For Howard was a complex man, burdened with a despairing
        >nature, a disabling social phobia, and fear of homosexuality. >

        Given his letters, how can you say he had a "social phobia"? He
        corresponded with a variety of people and had a social life--its clear
        in his letters to Tevis Clyde Smith he had several friends in the
        Brownwood and Cross Plains area. He travelled throughout Texas and the
        Southwest and into northern Mexico.

        As for a fear of homosexuality, never thought about it in his work. It
        doesn't crop up in his published letters like it does in Lovecraft's
        letters though.

        Best, MEH
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
          Howard was kind of a strange person. There's a memoir, _One Who Walked
          Alone_, by a woman named Novalyne Price Ellis with whom Howard had what was not
          quite a romance. It was actually made into a movie called _The Whole Wide World_
          with Vincent D'Onofrio as Howard and Renee Zellweger as Novalyne. Howard's
          personality is not easy to explain.

        • Mary Kay
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
            > Message: 4
            > Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:27:30 -0400
            > From: "Elizabeth Apgar Triano" <lizziewriter@...>
            > Subject: Kanes
            >

            > So, who has read Wagner's Kane series and Howard's Kane books? I haven't
            > read either, and I have heard of both, but I can't keep them straight. The
            > former are not easy to find, and there are just so many other things that I
            > want to read first but if anyone wants to pontificate let's hear it.

            Well, not pontificating exactly. I've read all of Wagner's Kane:
            they're about the Biblical Cain as he lives down through time. I don't
            think I've read the Solomon Kanes though. The Wagner Kane has been out
            of print for many years, but Nightshade is reissuing a collection of the
            short stories.
            http://www.powells.com/cgi-bin/biblio?inkey=2-1892389517-0
            MKK