RE: [mythsoc] Four Christian Fantasists

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
      lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

      I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
      of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
      Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
      doo-dads.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

    • Deidre
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
        At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

        >Lizzie,
        >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
        >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
        >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
        >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
        >Careful with those URLs!

        That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
        instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
        was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
        that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
        hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
        literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
        I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
        Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
        alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
        site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

        Deidre
      • Kevin Bowring
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
          Lizzie,
          Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
          Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

          http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

          One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
          want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
          lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
          become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
          booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
          well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
          are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
          I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
          books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
          on either ABE or Bookfinder.

          Kevin

          >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
          >
          >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
          learned
          >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
          >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
          >doo-dads.
          >
          >Lizzie
          >
          >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          >lizziewriter@...
          >amor vincit omnia
          >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

        • Croft, Janet B.
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
            I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
            send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
            made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

            Janet Brennan Croft
          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
              Thanks, Janet.

              I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
              I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
              gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
              working.

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                me know what you want to do.

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                  Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.