RE: [mythsoc] Four Christian Fantasists

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
      Beth,

      I sent my query to the Tolkien Society. Interesting about that price range
      you saw. As if it's not chancy enough ordering by air mail and currency
      exchange. ;-p

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

    • Kevin Bowring
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
        Lizzie,
        That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
        was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
        "s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
        scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
        Careful with those URLs!
        Kevin

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
          lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

          I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
          of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
          Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
          doo-dads.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

        • Deidre
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
            At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

            >Lizzie,
            >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
            >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
            >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
            >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
            >Careful with those URLs!

            That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
            instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
            was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
            that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
            hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
            literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
            I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
            Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
            alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
            site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

            Deidre
          • Kevin Bowring
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
              Lizzie,
              Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
              Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

              http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

              One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
              want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
              lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
              become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
              booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
              well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
              are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
              I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
              books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
              on either ABE or Bookfinder.

              Kevin

              >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
              >
              >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
              learned
              >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
              >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
              >doo-dads.
              >
              >Lizzie
              >
              >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              >lizziewriter@...
              >amor vincit omnia
              >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

            • Croft, Janet B.
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
                send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
                made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

                Janet Brennan Croft
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                  Thanks, Janet.

                  I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
                  I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
                  gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
                  working.

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia

                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                    Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                    on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                    so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                    me know what you want to do.

                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                      Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.