RE: [mythsoc] Four Christian Fantasists

  • Beth Russell
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
      Dear David,

      Just checked out the Walking Tree website.
      http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/cormare.html
      They list a number of shops they sell through, none in this hemisphere.
      They list Thornton's in England. Checked them out in the ILAB database
      and this is their description:

      "0 A Study of the Fantastic Writings of George MacDonald,J.R.R.Tolkien
      and C.S.Lewis, showing in a series of chapters on
      themes,symbolism,apologetics etc. how their Christian faith informed and
      underpinned their work. An Angican priest,a former lecture in
      Philosophy,Mr Sturch`s analysis will serve to illuminate even further
      the worlds these men created.2000, Paper. 126pp. v.good condition."

      Price is quoted as about $ 30 in one place and about $ 55 in another
      place. [ODD!]

      Thornton's Bookshop
      Wightwick
      Boars Hill
      Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 5DR
      GREAT BRITAIN
      Tel. (00)(44) (0)1865-735380
      Fax (00)(44) (0)1235-821994
      E-mail: thorntons@...
      Internet: www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk

      Walking Tree also sells through the Tolkien Society catalog. I have
      ordered from them many times, you can pay by credit card. Don't have a
      copy here but I could send it on to you.

      Cheers,

      Beth the Bookseller

      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
        Beth,

        I sent my query to the Tolkien Society. Interesting about that price range
        you saw. As if it's not chancy enough ordering by air mail and currency
        exchange. ;-p

        thanks,

        Lizzie

        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        lizziewriter@...
        amor vincit omnia

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
          OH MY ...

          I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

          how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
            Oh... and the price range at Thornton's is because one is a ppbk and the
            other is plastic-covered library edition. It all becomes clear now.

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia

          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
              Dear Lizzie,

              Sorry! Your original message did not post to my email, read David's
              message and replied to him by mistake. Anyhow, the information you want
              is in the note to him.

              I am new to discussion-grouping, will get the hang of it eventually, I
              hope,

              Cheers,

              Beth

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                Lizzie,
                That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                "s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                Careful with those URLs!
                Kevin

                I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                  lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

                  I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
                  of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                  Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                  doo-dads.

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia

                • Deidre
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                    At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

                    >Lizzie,
                    >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                    >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                    >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                    >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                    >Careful with those URLs!

                    That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
                    instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
                    was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
                    that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
                    hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
                    literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
                    I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
                    Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
                    alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
                    site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

                    Deidre
                  • Kevin Bowring
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                      Lizzie,
                      Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
                      Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

                      http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

                      One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
                      want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
                      lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
                      become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
                      booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
                      well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
                      are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
                      I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
                      books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
                      on either ABE or Bookfinder.

                      Kevin

                      >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
                      >
                      >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
                      learned
                      >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                      >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                      >doo-dads.
                      >
                      >Lizzie
                      >
                      >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      >lizziewriter@...
                      >amor vincit omnia
                      >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

                    • Croft, Janet B.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                        I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
                        send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
                        made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

                        Janet Brennan Croft
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                          Thanks, Janet.

                          I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
                          I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
                          gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
                          working.

                          Lizzie

                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia

                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                            Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                            on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                            so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                            me know what you want to do.

                          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                              Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.