Re: [mythsoc] Four Christian Fantasists

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
      Super,

      thanks, guys.

      I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow. I
      have written an inquiry to one about the book.

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia

    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
        Dear David,

        Just checked out the Walking Tree website.
        http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/cormare.html
        They list a number of shops they sell through, none in this hemisphere.
        They list Thornton's in England. Checked them out in the ILAB database
        and this is their description:

        "0 A Study of the Fantastic Writings of George MacDonald,J.R.R.Tolkien
        and C.S.Lewis, showing in a series of chapters on
        themes,symbolism,apologetics etc. how their Christian faith informed and
        underpinned their work. An Angican priest,a former lecture in
        Philosophy,Mr Sturch`s analysis will serve to illuminate even further
        the worlds these men created.2000, Paper. 126pp. v.good condition."

        Price is quoted as about $ 30 in one place and about $ 55 in another
        place. [ODD!]

        Thornton's Bookshop
        Wightwick
        Boars Hill
        Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 5DR
        GREAT BRITAIN
        Tel. (00)(44) (0)1865-735380
        Fax (00)(44) (0)1235-821994
        E-mail: thorntons@...
        Internet: www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk

        Walking Tree also sells through the Tolkien Society catalog. I have
        ordered from them many times, you can pay by credit card. Don't have a
        copy here but I could send it on to you.

        Cheers,

        Beth the Bookseller

        This publisher is distributed by dealers that take credit cards.

        Info at <http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/buying.html>

        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
          Beth,

          I sent my query to the Tolkien Society. Interesting about that price range
          you saw. As if it's not chancy enough ordering by air mail and currency
          exchange. ;-p

          thanks,

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
            OH MY ...

            I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

            how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia

          • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
              Oh... and the price range at Thornton's is because one is a ppbk and the
              other is plastic-covered library edition. It all becomes clear now.

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

            • Beth Russell
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                Dear Lizzie,

                Sorry! Your original message did not post to my email, read David's
                message and replied to him by mistake. Anyhow, the information you want
                is in the note to him.

                I am new to discussion-grouping, will get the hang of it eventually, I
                hope,

                Cheers,

                Beth

                I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow.
                have written an inquiry to one about the book.

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia

                Yahoo! Groups Links
              • Kevin Bowring
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                  Lizzie,
                  That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                  was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                  "s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                  scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                  Careful with those URLs!
                  Kevin

                  I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                  how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                    lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

                    I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
                    of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                    Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                    doo-dads.

                    Lizzie

                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia

                  • Deidre
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                      At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

                      >Lizzie,
                      >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                      >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                      >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                      >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                      >Careful with those URLs!

                      That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
                      instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
                      was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
                      that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
                      hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
                      literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
                      I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
                      Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
                      alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
                      site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

                      Deidre
                    • Kevin Bowring
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                        Lizzie,
                        Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
                        Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

                        http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

                        One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
                        want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
                        lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
                        become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
                        booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
                        well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
                        are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
                        I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
                        books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
                        on either ABE or Bookfinder.

                        Kevin

                        >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
                        >
                        >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
                        learned
                        >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                        >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                        >doo-dads.
                        >
                        >Lizzie
                        >
                        >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        >lizziewriter@...
                        >amor vincit omnia
                        >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

                      • Croft, Janet B.
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                          I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
                          send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
                          made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

                          Janet Brennan Croft
                        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                            Thanks, Janet.

                            I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
                            I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
                            gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
                            working.

                            Lizzie

                            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            lizziewriter@...
                            amor vincit omnia

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                              Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                              on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                              so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                              me know what you want to do.

                            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.