Re: [mythsoc] Maps by Pauline Baynes

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
      At 12:23 PM 10/12/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

      >I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien Reader?
      >Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

      She did. _Farmer Giles_ was her first Inklings commission, and it was a
      bit hit. "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by
      the first examples," wrote Tolkien. "They are more than illustrations,
      they are a collateral theme."

      David Bratman
    • Beth Russell
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
        She also did the Narnia books. But the one I like best is "Bibo's Last
        Song". She placed a series of drawings under the main illustration,
        like the Bayeux Tapestry. Below each scene in "Last Song" she put
        little scenes from "The Hobbit" that were related to it. She 'says' as
        much in those drawings as could be said in a long literary essay.

        Beth