Re: [mythsoc] Four Christian Fantasists

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
      This publisher is distributed by dealers that take credit cards.

      Info at <http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/buying.html>

      At 01:21 PM 10/13/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

      >I was just sorting through my paper pile and found the back issue of
      >Mythprint with Scott McLaren's review of _Four Christian Fantasists_ by
      >Richard Sturch. It is still not available on amazon (at least, not
      >according to the search I just did) nor on abebooks (ditto). When I looked
      >into it last year, ordering it would have involved sending an international
      >money order to the publisher. I would rather not go through all that
      >bother. Does anyone know if it has become available anywhere else, that I
      >could order by credit card or US MO or check?
    • Kevin Bowring
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
        Lizzie,
        I just looked on bookfinder.com and saw it listed there. I didn't try
        going through the entire process, but it looks like you can order it with a
        credit card.
        All the best,
        Kevin

        >I was just sorting through my paper pile and found the back issue of
        >Mythprint with Scott McLaren's review of _Four Christian Fantasists_ by
        >Richard Sturch. It is still not available on amazon (at least, not
        >according to the search I just did) nor on abebooks (ditto). When I
        looked
        >into it last year, ordering it would have involved sending an
        international
        >money order to the publisher. I would rather not go through all that
        >bother. Does anyone know if it has become available anywhere else, that I
        >could order by credit card or US MO or check?
        >
        >thanks,
        >
        >Lizzie
        >

        >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        >lizziewriter@...
        >amor vincit omnia
        >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
          Super,

          thanks, guys.

          I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow. I
          have written an inquiry to one about the book.

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

        • Beth Russell
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
            Dear David,

            Just checked out the Walking Tree website.
            http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/cormare.html
            They list a number of shops they sell through, none in this hemisphere.
            They list Thornton's in England. Checked them out in the ILAB database
            and this is their description:

            "0 A Study of the Fantastic Writings of George MacDonald,J.R.R.Tolkien
            and C.S.Lewis, showing in a series of chapters on
            themes,symbolism,apologetics etc. how their Christian faith informed and
            underpinned their work. An Angican priest,a former lecture in
            Philosophy,Mr Sturch`s analysis will serve to illuminate even further
            the worlds these men created.2000, Paper. 126pp. v.good condition."

            Price is quoted as about $ 30 in one place and about $ 55 in another
            place. [ODD!]

            Thornton's Bookshop
            Wightwick
            Boars Hill
            Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 5DR
            GREAT BRITAIN
            Tel. (00)(44) (0)1865-735380
            Fax (00)(44) (0)1235-821994
            E-mail: thorntons@...
            Internet: www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk

            Walking Tree also sells through the Tolkien Society catalog. I have
            ordered from them many times, you can pay by credit card. Don't have a
            copy here but I could send it on to you.

            Cheers,

            Beth the Bookseller

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
              Beth,

              I sent my query to the Tolkien Society. Interesting about that price range
              you saw. As if it's not chancy enough ordering by air mail and currency
              exchange. ;-p

              thanks,

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              lizziewriter@...
              amor vincit omnia

            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                OH MY ...

                I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                  Oh... and the price range at Thornton's is because one is a ppbk and the
                  other is plastic-covered library edition. It all becomes clear now.

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia

                • Beth Russell
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                    Dear Lizzie,

                    Sorry! Your original message did not post to my email, read David's
                    message and replied to him by mistake. Anyhow, the information you want
                    is in the note to him.

                    I am new to discussion-grouping, will get the hang of it eventually, I
                    hope,

                    Cheers,

                    Beth

                    I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow.
                    have written an inquiry to one about the book.

                    Lizzie

                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Kevin Bowring
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                      Lizzie,
                      That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                      was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                      "s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                      scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                      Careful with those URLs!
                      Kevin

                      I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                      how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                        lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

                        I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
                        of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                        Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                        doo-dads.

                        Lizzie

                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia

                      • Deidre
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                          At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

                          >Lizzie,
                          >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                          >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                          >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                          >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                          >Careful with those URLs!

                          That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
                          instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
                          was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
                          that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
                          hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
                          literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
                          I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
                          Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
                          alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
                          site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

                          Deidre
                        • Kevin Bowring
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                            Lizzie,
                            Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
                            Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

                            http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

                            One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
                            want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
                            lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
                            become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
                            booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
                            well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
                            are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
                            I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
                            books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
                            on either ABE or Bookfinder.

                            Kevin

                            >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
                            >
                            >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
                            learned
                            >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                            >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                            >doo-dads.
                            >
                            >Lizzie
                            >
                            >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                            >lizziewriter@...
                            >amor vincit omnia
                            >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

                          • Croft, Janet B.
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                              I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
                              send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
                              made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

                              Janet Brennan Croft
                            • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                Thanks, Janet.

                                I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
                                I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
                                gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
                                working.

                                Lizzie

                                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                lizziewriter@...
                                amor vincit omnia

                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                  Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                                  on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                                  so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                                  me know what you want to do.

                                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                    Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.