Four Christian Fantasists

  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 13, 2004
      I was just sorting through my paper pile and found the back issue of
      Mythprint with Scott McLaren's review of _Four Christian Fantasists_ by
      Richard Sturch. It is still not available on amazon (at least, not
      according to the search I just did) nor on abebooks (ditto). When I looked
      into it last year, ordering it would have involved sending an international
      money order to the publisher. I would rather not go through all that
      bother. Does anyone know if it has become available anywhere else, that I
      could order by credit card or US MO or check?

      thanks,

      Lizzie

      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
      lizziewriter@...
      amor vincit omnia
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
        This publisher is distributed by dealers that take credit cards.

        Info at <http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/buying.html>

        At 01:21 PM 10/13/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

        >I was just sorting through my paper pile and found the back issue of
        >Mythprint with Scott McLaren's review of _Four Christian Fantasists_ by
        >Richard Sturch. It is still not available on amazon (at least, not
        >according to the search I just did) nor on abebooks (ditto). When I looked
        >into it last year, ordering it would have involved sending an international
        >money order to the publisher. I would rather not go through all that
        >bother. Does anyone know if it has become available anywhere else, that I
        >could order by credit card or US MO or check?
      • Kevin Bowring
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 15, 2004
          Lizzie,
          I just looked on bookfinder.com and saw it listed there. I didn't try
          going through the entire process, but it looks like you can order it with a
          credit card.
          All the best,
          Kevin

          >I was just sorting through my paper pile and found the back issue of
          >Mythprint with Scott McLaren's review of _Four Christian Fantasists_ by
          >Richard Sturch. It is still not available on amazon (at least, not
          >according to the search I just did) nor on abebooks (ditto). When I
          looked
          >into it last year, ordering it would have involved sending an
          international
          >money order to the publisher. I would rather not go through all that
          >bother. Does anyone know if it has become available anywhere else, that I
          >could order by credit card or US MO or check?
          >
          >thanks,
          >
          >Lizzie
          >

          >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          >lizziewriter@...
          >amor vincit omnia
          >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
            Super,

            thanks, guys.

            I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow. I
            have written an inquiry to one about the book.

            Lizzie

            Elizabeth Apgar Triano
            lizziewriter@...
            amor vincit omnia

          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
              Dear David,

              Just checked out the Walking Tree website.
              http://www.proaktiva.ch/walkingtree/cormare.html
              They list a number of shops they sell through, none in this hemisphere.
              They list Thornton's in England. Checked them out in the ILAB database
              and this is their description:

              "0 A Study of the Fantastic Writings of George MacDonald,J.R.R.Tolkien
              and C.S.Lewis, showing in a series of chapters on
              themes,symbolism,apologetics etc. how their Christian faith informed and
              underpinned their work. An Angican priest,a former lecture in
              Philosophy,Mr Sturch`s analysis will serve to illuminate even further
              the worlds these men created.2000, Paper. 126pp. v.good condition."

              Price is quoted as about $ 30 in one place and about $ 55 in another
              place. [ODD!]

              Thornton's Bookshop
              Wightwick
              Boars Hill
              Oxford, Oxfordshire OX1 5DR
              GREAT BRITAIN
              Tel. (00)(44) (0)1865-735380
              Fax (00)(44) (0)1235-821994
              E-mail: thorntons@...
              Internet: www.thorntonsbooks.co.uk

              Walking Tree also sells through the Tolkien Society catalog. I have
              ordered from them many times, you can pay by credit card. Don't have a
              copy here but I could send it on to you.

              Cheers,

              Beth the Bookseller

              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                Beth,

                I sent my query to the Tolkien Society. Interesting about that price range
                you saw. As if it's not chancy enough ordering by air mail and currency
                exchange. ;-p

                thanks,

                Lizzie

                Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                lizziewriter@...
                amor vincit omnia

              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                  OH MY ...

                  I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                  how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                  Lizzie

                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  lizziewriter@...
                  amor vincit omnia

                • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                    Oh... and the price range at Thornton's is because one is a ppbk and the
                    other is plastic-covered library edition. It all becomes clear now.

                    Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                    lizziewriter@...
                    amor vincit omnia

                  • Beth Russell
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                      Dear Lizzie,

                      Sorry! Your original message did not post to my email, read David's
                      message and replied to him by mistake. Anyhow, the information you want
                      is in the note to him.

                      I am new to discussion-grouping, will get the hang of it eventually, I
                      hope,

                      Cheers,

                      Beth

                      I can't believe how long my two posts took to get public though. Wow.
                      have written an inquiry to one about the book.

                      Lizzie

                      Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                      lizziewriter@...
                      amor vincit omnia

                      Yahoo! Groups Links
                    • Kevin Bowring
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                        Lizzie,
                        That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                        was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                        "s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                        scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                        Careful with those URLs!
                        Kevin

                        I typed in bookfinders dot com (with an "s") instead of bookfinder

                        how very strange (it's an "adult" products / video sales site)

                        Lizzie

                        Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        lizziewriter@...
                        amor vincit omnia

                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                          lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.

                          I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've learned
                          of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                          Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                          doo-dads.

                          Lizzie

                          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                          lizziewriter@...
                          amor vincit omnia

                        • Deidre
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 16, 2004
                            At 12:55 PM 10/16/04 -0400, Kevin wrote:

                            >Lizzie,
                            >That's funny-well, sort of. The same thing happened to me once when I
                            >was using the Advanced Book Exchange (abe.com): I also typed in an extra
                            >"s" or something and got a porn site. That's when I realized that the
                            >scoundrels mimic other websites. It's really irritating.
                            >Careful with those URLs!

                            That also happened to me years ago when I typed something like "ezbroad"
                            instead of "ezboard" when first checking out a discussion board there. It
                            was quite nasty, not just the subject matter, mind you, but for the fact
                            that the site spawned zillions of pop-ups and pop-unders, and basically
                            hijacked my browser (Netscape at the time--now use Mozilla). I had to
                            literally shut the computer down to escape that crap, as for each one that
                            I closed, another two or more would pop up in its place. Talk about a
                            Hydra! That was my first experience of the site mimics, but not the last,
                            alas. This is also why corporations often register variations on their
                            site's name, just to hopefully prevent that sort of thing.

                            Deidre
                          • Kevin Bowring
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 17, 2004
                              Lizzie,
                              Of course the best thing to do is to bookmark them. For the Advanced Book
                              Exchange the best entry point, to my mind, is:

                              http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchEntry

                              One of the features of this website that I like is that you can set up a
                              want list. This means that they will send you an email when a bookseller
                              lists a book that you are looking for. I have to admit that this has
                              become a little less useful than it was a few years ago because so many web
                              booksellers are now charging really outrageous prices for books you may
                              well find at your local used bookstore for a reasonable price. Also, there
                              are book dealers who do not have their stock listed online. For instance,
                              I have often called Loome Theological Booksellers (loomebooks.com)and found
                              books I am looking for at a much less expensive price than anything listed
                              on either ABE or Bookfinder.

                              Kevin

                              >lol And stay up to date with one's spyware blockers.
                              >
                              >I think it's abebooks dot com. There is also alibris, and now I've
                              learned
                              >of bookfinder. What else is out there? I like amazon for its Wish List,
                              >Recommendations and Reviews functions, and all the other fun little
                              >doo-dads.
                              >
                              >Lizzie
                              >
                              >Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                              >lizziewriter@...
                              >amor vincit omnia
                              >*** Do visit www.groups.yahoo.com/group/DollsandArts ***

                            • Croft, Janet B.
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                I recently purchased a book directly from Walking Tree -- they had me
                                send an amazon.com gift certificate to them by email for payment, which
                                made it very easy. You might just try going direct to Walking Tree.

                                Janet Brennan Croft
                              • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                  Thanks, Janet.

                                  I heard of that method recently, yes, after I emailed the Tolkien Society.
                                  I think I will give the Society a couple more days and then I will try the
                                  gift cert. method at Walking Tree. Thanks for the good word on the method
                                  working.

                                  Lizzie

                                  Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                  lizziewriter@...
                                  amor vincit omnia

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                    Lizzie, if you want to do it this way, I could order the book (and any other
                                    on the Tolkien Society's order form) for you. I have a British bank account,
                                    so I could convert the amount I pay in pounds to dollars for you to pay. Let
                                    me know what you want to do.

                                  • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 18, 2004
                                      Thanks, Wendell. I'll be in touch.