Re: [mythsoc] Maps by Pauline Baynes

  • Wayne G. Hammond
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
      David Lenander wrote:

      >Actually, Baynes did 2 maps of Middle-earth. One was tied into the
      >release of the "Deluxe Paperback" edition of "LotR", and must have come
      >out in the early 70s. This is the map that Margaret has (I have a
      >copy, too). It's quite nice, in my opinion. There were little inset
      >scenes of various places in Middle-earth, three of which provided the
      >cover illustrations for the deluxe paperback edition: Hobbiton for the
      >first volume, Minas Tirith for the second (or was it the third?).

      Pauline's Map of Middle-earth was first issued in 1970, by George Allen &
      Unwin, an entirely separate project from the Ballantine trade paperback LR.
      The latter, however, which was published in September of the same year,
      used the map on the slipcase, and the roundels of Hobbiton, Minas Tirith,
      and the Towers of the Teeth from the map on the covers of vols. 1, 2, and 3
      respectively.

      >This
      >map was available for a while, I think, displacing the earlier map
      >which had decorations around the edges that appeared to be from the
      >same illustrator who'd done the giant mural that was cut up for the
      >original Ballantine paperback covers in the mid-60s.

      Barbara Remington.

      >The Baynes map
      >was better in every respect I think, except that the original map was
      >kind of plasticized or at least had a coating on the upper surface that
      >was slick and more easily cleaned.

      An Allen & Unwin memo I read called for 7,550 copies on Cartridge paper, to
      be followed by an unspecified quantity on glossy stock. But the copy of the
      first printing that hangs on the wall behind me isn't glossy, nor is the
      copy of a later printing (with somewhat different qualities of green)
      downstairs in one of our Baynes collection large print boxes, and I've
      never seen one that didn't have what I would call a matte or dull finish.

      >Baynes also did a later map for _The Hobbit_, which also had inset
      >scenes. It was smaller than the original Middle-earth map, and I'm not
      >sure if it tied into a book publication, but it was essentially the
      >same map that Tolkien had drawn for _The Hobbit_, I think, with the
      >"Edge of the Wild" line, etc.

      This was There and Back Again: A Map of Bilbo's Journey through Eriador and
      Rhovanion, issued in 1971, not tied into any book production. Pauline had
      done the first map, and kept the momentum going. Christina and I have both
      the poster and the tea towel (yes, tea towel) issues.

      >I think that the former of her maps appeared in the middle of one or
      >more of the '70s era Ballantine Tolkien Calendars.

      Yes, for both Ballantine and Allen & Unwin. Both also were issued as jigsaw
      puzzles.

      A copy of the Middle-earth map is currently offered by a British dealer on
      eBay, in an auction to end tomorrow (12 October). The bidding is low at the
      moment.

      Wayne Hammond

    • Deidre
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2004
        To everyone that replied, thanks so much for the info!

        I do have that Maps slipcase book, got as a birthday present, and opened it
        once to gloat over them. However, until I have money and time and more wall
        space to hang them properly, they will stay in the slipcase for now. The
        John Howe maps are the best of that lot.

        Wayne, I did find the Pauline Baynes ME map on ebay. Thanks for pointing
        that out to me. Waiting on seller to answer question about insurance. Have
        found that getting insurance is best for shipping on ebay-purchased items.

        Interesting to know that there were two editions of this map.

        tolkiencollector.com did mention the map being in the 73 or 74 Ballantine
        calendars, and I did find a picture of that online, as well as a picture of
        the Hobbit map. I hope to add both to my collection at some point. I do
        like the quasi-medieval style of Baynes' work.

        Thanks again--this is a good list to answer questions so quickly!

        Deidre
      • Elizabeth Apgar Triano
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12, 2004
          Now, I think we had the map poster on the wall (with Riders and Walkers)
          when I was growing up (and I had the big ugly Silmarillion one over my
          bedroom stairs) but the TEA TOWEL .. that would be a real prize !!

          I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien Reader?
          Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

          Lizzie

          Elizabeth Apgar Triano
          lizziewriter@...
          amor vincit omnia

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 15, 2004
            At 12:23 PM 10/12/2004 -0400, Lizzie wrote:

            >I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien Reader?
            >Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

            She did. _Farmer Giles_ was her first Inklings commission, and it was a
            bit hit. "I am pleased with them beyond even the expectations aroused by
            the first examples," wrote Tolkien. "They are more than illustrations,
            they are a collateral theme."

            David Bratman
          • Beth Russell
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
              She also did the Narnia books. But the one I like best is "Bibo's Last
              Song". She placed a series of drawings under the main illustration,
              like the Bayeux Tapestry. Below each scene in "Last Song" she put
              little scenes from "The Hobbit" that were related to it. She 'says' as
              much in those drawings as could be said in a long literary essay.

              Beth

              Now, I think we had the map poster on the wall (with Riders and Walkers)
              when I was growing up (and I had the big ugly Silmarillion one over my
              bedroom stairs) but the TEA TOWEL .. that would be a real prize !!

              I like Pauline Baynes' work too. Didn't she illustrate the Tolkien
              Reader?
              Farmer Giles of Ham and all that?

              Lizzie

              Elizabeth Apgar Triano